PDA

View Full Version : Pozidrive screws

Ray Newman
03-17-2010, 2:29 PM
Been following the thread on screws with some interest.

I am using up my old supply of the combo drive --square/Phillips-- screws and replacing them with the square drive, which I prefer. Really can't bear to toss the old combo drives or give them away due to my depression era parents and grandparents' influence.:D

Or I just may go with Torx, which are really good. But around here, seems as if they are only available for in small length for auto-type applications.:(

Now what about "Pozidrive" screws?? I heard mention of them the last time I was at Woodcraft, but 'nevva' thought to inquire more about them.

Frank Martin
03-17-2010, 2:36 PM
I am almost fully converted to Spax screws. They are the best screws I ever used and have pozidrive. I have not had any failure with these screws yet. They are a bit pricier than others, but McFeely's has good prices on them.

Been following the thread on screws with some interest.

I am using up my old supply of the combo drive --square/Phillips-- screws and replacing them with the square drive, which I prefer. Really can't bear to toss the old combo drives or give them away due to my depression era parents and grandparents' influence.:D

Or I just may go with Torx, which are really good. But around here, seems as if they are only available for in small length for auto-type applications.:(

Now what about "Pozidrive" screws?? I heard mention of them the last time I was at Woodcraft, but 'nevva' thought to inquire more about them.

Hugh Jardon
03-17-2010, 2:38 PM
Being English by birth, Pozidrive is something I have a lot of experience with, as they are very popular indeed there.

The pros: The bit registers very firmly indeed on the head with the 4 tiny splines, and increases accuracy and torque. They are great screws. Philips screwdrivers can be used, but not as good.

Cons: More expensive here than straight Philips (but not in Europe where they have largely replaced Philips). Tendency to ruin the bit if insufficient care is taken when driving them. If the bit becomes rounded, it is a royal pain. That said, you can buy multipacks of #2 bits, the most commonly used one.

I go back over there every 6 months or so, and bring a box or two back with me once a year.

Van Huskey
03-17-2010, 11:18 PM
I have only used them with Euro hinges and like them in that capacity but would look at other choices to replace my screws with, probably square drive.

John Coloccia
03-17-2010, 11:26 PM
I use Posidriv whenever I want the look of a "Phillips" but without all the chewed up edges from trying to drive the stupid thing :D There's no hardware stores around here that carry wood screws in any quantity anymore, unless I want to buy little packages, with two screws in them, at Home Depot...not that they'd even have enough to finish any one project anyhow. I'm pretty much stuck with mail order, which I know is completely absurd for a stupid wood screw, so I end up just buying them in bulk once every couple of years.

Roger Secrist
03-18-2010, 8:08 AM
Ray, here is a link to Woodcraft Pozidrive
http://www.woodcraft.com/Search/Search.aspx?query=pozidrive

Vince Shriver
03-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Ray, here is a link to Woodcraft Pozidrive
http://www.woodcraft.com/Search/Search.aspx?query=pozidrive

Roger, the link you gave is for confirmat screws - is that what you intended to post?