PDA

View Full Version : General Shaper

Roger Troost
03-17-2010, 10:36 AM
I am looking for a shaper and have found a lightly used 6-yr old General International 40-250 for sale locally. Although a Grizzly 1026 is the way I have been leaning the General shaper is priced right and not too far away.

Can anyone give me an opinion about this shaper and how it stacks up against the Grizzly?

Also, I may have to dismantle it to be able to get it to my shop in my pickup
(working alone). I'm hoping that by removing the motor, cast top and other removeable parts that I will be able to handle it.

Thanks , Roger

Rod Sheridan
03-17-2010, 11:14 AM
My friend has that shaper, he's had it for about 5 years.

He purchased the optional 1 1/4" spindle for it, and he has my power feeder on it this month to see if he wants to buy one.

I remember taking it down into his basement with him.

The table extension was not installed and the fence/hood wasn't either.

We took it downstairs on a two wheeler with a strap to hold it to the cart.

It was no problem for two weak old guys like us.:D You won't have to take it apart, it was certainly less than 300 pounds in the condition we moved it in

He seems to like it, there weren't any issues with it and it has hinged doors rather than removable access panels that I've seen on some similar machines.

Stephen has made a fair number of raised panel doors and some moldings, and is now making wainscot for his recreation room (that's why he borrowed the feeder).

If it's in good condition I suggest you buy it.......Regards, Rod.