PDA

View Full Version : Installed shelix in DW735 tonight

Mike Reinholtz
03-17-2010, 12:29 AM
The Byrd heads were on back-order but mine came in yesterday, got it installed tonight. I thought installation would take longer but start to finish was about an hour. All I can say is this thing totally changes the planer. I can't understand why Dewalt isn't selling this machine with a head like this. I even checked amps before and after cutting 1/8" off 6" red oak and the power consumption is significantly less! It's a win-win for me, can't wait to play more tomorrow! The noise is not only much quieter, but also a different pitch that doesn't hurt as much as the straight blades. The surface is fantastic and I didn't notice any snipe (also due to extension tables).

Just wanted to share my experience, I know I was on the fence before I took the plunge and was searching for reviews.

Rick Markham
03-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Holy cow, those cost as much as my planer :eek: thanks... now I want one:D

Victor Robinson
03-17-2010, 1:53 AM
Not that I'm planning to do either anytime soon, but I'm curious if given the choice would people rather upgrade their DW with a shelix or upgrade to a stationary 15" planer (non-shelix)?

Myk Rian
03-17-2010, 7:13 AM
Not that I'm planning to do either anytime soon, but I'm curious if given the choice would people rather upgrade their DW with a shelix or upgrade to a stationary 15" planer (non-shelix)?
I have about $1,000 into my DW735. If I had spent that on a stationary with straight knives, I would still be dealing with tearout on figured wood. The cost is worth it to me.
Since my garage is my shop. I don't have the room anyway. You can't put a floor model on a flip stand with another tool.

Mike Reinholtz
03-17-2010, 8:44 AM
I waited until Holbren had a sale, I think I paid $403. To me it's worth it, no more tear out, substantially quieter operation and the wood comes out ridiculously smooth. If one day I have enough room and need additional width capacity I might upgrade, but it would have to be to something bigger than a 15". Like most I work out of my garage, so being able to pack up the dewalt and put it away is a big plus.

About a month ago I helped a buddy set knives in a 15" machine he got off CL. Neither of us had done it before, and I have to say that was one miserable experience I don't want to repeat.:eek: Talk about frustrating...

Brian Kincaid
03-17-2010, 10:00 AM

I went the stationary 15" planer route, got the grizzly with the grizzly spiral head. It is very very nice and very quiet. Big stationary planers have induction motors which are much more quiet. Huge plus for me.

... something bigger than a 15". Like most I work out of my garage, so being able to pack up the dewalt and put it away is a big plus...

I saw a thread a little while back and most folks with big planers agreed that if you need more than 15 for the job you will more than likely need more than 20 as well. Makes the upgrade pretty much a wash. Seemed that most doing this were folks planing entire doors. I just mill lumber with my planer. My 13" was adequate, my 15" will be fine as well.

-Brian

Mike Reinholtz
03-17-2010, 11:18 PM
If I upgrade, it would most likely be to a woodmaster 725 with a spiral cutterhead. Seems to be the largest capacity for the money and can do other things as well. There is one on CL not too far from me right now that is really tempting, but I don't have room quite yet.

Chip Lindley
03-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Lunchbox planers have earned their place in the shop! They fill a niche' created by the new wave of hobbiest woodworking enthusiasts. They do a decent job in the short term, for short money.

Great marketing strategy by Byrd! Consumer spent $500ish for a lunchbox. Later, he will spend $400+ for a Byrd head! Much easier to swallow in two doses than $1500 for a cast iron 15" planer with spiral head! But, that shelix head will outlast the lunchbox! What happens then?
A) Another lunchbox? (if the shelix fits)
B) Expensive replacement motor or rebuild parts?
C) A glut of lunchbox spiral heads on CL?
...hmm...

Bill Eshelman
03-18-2010, 2:57 PM
Fresh blades on a 735 is pure bliss. That said, I am also very interested in this spiral head. I wear shooting earmuffs when I run mine so the ultra violent sound isn't a problem. It is quite a sound though ehh?:eek:

Rob Fisher
03-18-2010, 6:37 PM
Since my garage is my shop. I don't have the room anyway. You can't put a floor model on a flip stand with another tool.

Not to hijack this thread but I would love to see this flip stand. I have a 735 and I am having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around it on a flip top stand, I have the extension tables on mine.

Rob

Myk Rian
03-18-2010, 7:30 PM
Not to hijack this thread but I would love to see this flip stand. I have a 735 and I am having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around it on a flip top stand, I have the extension tables on mine.

Rob
Right here; http://www.routerforums.com/axlmyks-stuff/12219-thickness-planer-stand.html
I have to take the exit table off to flip the stand around. Poor design, that was.
All they had to do was extend the exit bed 1".

Michael Heffernan
03-18-2010, 8:24 PM
Rob,
I posted some pics of my flip-top planer cart for my DW 735 on this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119804
Scroll down to my post.

You can also see some other photos of the build here.
http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/mwheffernan/Drill%20Press%20Table/Flip%20Top%20Planer%20Cart/

If you have any questions, send me a PM.

Mark,
Sorry to hijack your thread.
I'm looking into the Byrd Shelix head for my 735 as well. When I get some extra cash, I may go that way.
Glad to you've had success with the install, and are happy with its performance.

Rob

Craig Coney
03-18-2010, 11:39 PM
I have a dual flip stand mobile cart that I made for the DW733 and Ridgid Oscillating spindle sander. I upgraded to a 735 and wish I had made it a tad bit larger for the 735. It still works, I just need to take the handle off and the extension beds, no big deal, takes only a couple of minutes.

Rob Fisher
03-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Myk and Michael,

Thanks! That is exactly what I needed.

Now I just need to get it built and check into a Shelix. I got my planer on the clearance sale so for less than 7 bills I could have a 13" planer with a Shelix...hmmmm very tempting....

Rob

Brian Tymchak
03-19-2010, 11:58 AM
It's threads like this that just lay waste to my bank account... :rolleyes:

...Shelix head for the planer => on the list..

Rod Sheridan
03-19-2010, 12:09 PM
It's threads like this that just lay waste to my bank account... :rolleyes:

...Shelix head for the planer => on the list..

And what else should a hobby do aside from provide pleasure to the hobbyist?:D

A friend of mine claims that Lee Valley has a link to his savings account, they send out sale flyers whenever his account balance exceeds a certain amount.

Regards, Rod.