PDA

View Full Version : Top or No Top-Cedar Vessel--REDO

Steve Mawson
03-16-2010, 11:24 PM
This is the redo on the cedar vase. Took it to the turning club tonight and got some nice comments. Still have to turn off the tenon and finish the inside of the lid. Of course if someone likes it better without the top you just lift it off and set aside. Is this better???:confused::( Same top as before just reworked with a maple knob.

Richard Madison
03-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Steve, Big improvement, much better "flow" from the bottom all the way to the top of the top. When you remove the tenon, is there enough wall thickness right at the bottom to round over the bottom edge to a larger radius? You may have already planned to do this.

Baxter Smith
03-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Much better. The word flow came to mind even before I read Richards post. Looks good!

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Much better Steve. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
03-17-2010, 12:43 AM
I like it - do you?

Steve Mawson
03-17-2010, 7:14 AM
I like it - do you?

Yep, like it pretty well now, thanks to reforming suggestions. Have to remember that for the future.

[QUOTE]Steve, Big improvement, much better "flow" from the bottom all the way to the top of the top. When you remove the tenon, is there enough wall thickness right at the bottom to round over the bottom edge to a larger radius? You may have already planned to do this.[QUOTE]

Richard, not quite sure what you mean by larger radius. Sides are thin but may have a little room on the bottom.

John Keeton
03-17-2010, 8:06 AM
Well done!! Much better, Steve. The maple knob ties in with the collar, and the form of the top does "flow" with the vase.

Worth the effort!

Frank Van Atta
03-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I still like it better without the top.

Bill Bolen
03-17-2010, 6:15 PM
I like it much better Steve,,,excellent re-do. Themost important thing is do you like it better...Bill..

John Tomasello jr
03-17-2010, 7:56 PM
Like it, flows better.