PDA

View Full Version : How to achieve a dark cherry

Darren Vass
03-16-2010, 11:03 PM
I've been working on a pair of loudspeakers. Tiger Maple veneer over Baltic Birch ply.

Here is a pic of the back. The sides are the same:

I wish to do the baffle or front of the cabinet in a dark cherry, something like the next two photos:

I like the intensity of the red, but would like even a little more black, if that makes sense. I was even thinking of using red milk paint and black glaze. Is there a better way to do this? I am looking to make the baffle contrast against the amber tiger maple sides and back. Might any other color/stain contrast better?

These are two examples that come close, perhaps a cross between the two or either would work.

I used water dye stain and amber shellac on the rest of the box and am pleased with the color and popping of the figure.

Thanks,

Darren

Philip Johnson
03-17-2010, 6:04 AM
Take this with a grain of salt because I know very little about finishing...trying to learn more about finishing. I used this this on some hard to stain maple I had.

I used general water based dye Merlot was the color a deep red and general gel stain in gerogian cherry over the top of it. I got a very rich deep dark color with some redish showing thru. I was very pleased with the results.

If you have a rockler nearby take a few scraps in and they were more then happy to open and try a bunch of different combinations till we found something that worked good.

Phil

Frederick Rowe
03-18-2010, 6:56 AM
Try TransTint Medium Brown and Reddish Brown. Start with a 50/50 mix (in small test quantities). Record the mixture and bracket the 50/50 mix with a drop or two of black at the dark end of the spectrum, and dilute with more water at the lighter end. Dyes are very easy to blend to taste, just measure and record each test batch so it can be recreated. I make test batches using small cups intended for mixing epoxy because they have measurement marks down to 1/8 oz. Most hobby shops carry them. You can then eyeball half of that and make your test batch with 2 oz of water.

The recommended ratio of dye to water is 1 oz dye to 1 qt (32 oz) of water.
Apply the dye with brush, rag, or paper towel. Lightly sand (or scotchbrite pad) the nubs from raised grain.

Darren Vass
03-18-2010, 9:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I went to Woodcraft and they were kind enough to open cans and try product on test pieces. I found Empire Red ready made water soluble die that is perfect. Applied it last night and am pleased with the color.

Thanks again.

Darren

Andrew Long
03-22-2010, 4:34 PM
You can "darken" Cherry a few ways...
(1) Put in bright sunlight, and it will darken naturally (speeds up process).
(2) Use Analine dyes (or a stain if so inclined).
(3) Wipe the boards (after final sanding) with very dilute caustic solution (Sodium hydroxide), around 0.5% active. Immediately wipe off and allow to dry completely.

Personally, I've used the combo of #2 & #3, with the finish of BLO and top coated with Shellac for a truely antique Cherry wood finish.

If trying #3, wear rubber gloves...