PDA

View Full Version : There a Drywaller in the house?

C Scott McDonald
03-16-2010, 8:56 PM
Anybody know make this texture for drywall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/repairman87/Picture123.jpg

Sponge or some brush or something?

Anything will help!

Thanks!
Scott

Eric DeSilva
03-16-2010, 9:31 PM
I've seen something like that done with a skim coat, then putting plastic (like a garbage bag) on the wall and pulling it off. Sounds strange, and I'd definitely experiment first with the density of the skim coat and various types of plastic.

But I'm not a drywaller... In fact I hate drywalling...

Rob Hough
03-16-2010, 9:48 PM
Got a better picture? Looks like a sponge but I can't really tell. Family of finishers and rockers. I gave it up a long time ago though.

My favorite texture was watching my grandfather break out a sunburst ceiling. I haven't seen one of those in years though.

This was the most common brush:

http://www.all-wall.com/acatalog/MT16332_01_pr.jpg

We also had something like this:
http://www.house-painting-info.com/images/stomp-texture-brush.jpg

and then... just a crappy old dollar store sponge

C Scott McDonald
03-16-2010, 10:21 PM
That's about it for pictures sorry. All I have is an Iphone to take pictures with.

With the sponge method do I mix a bucket of really thin mud and dip the sponge in it then dap on the walls?

Thanks,
Scott

Mitchell Andrus
03-16-2010, 10:37 PM
I just did some repairs to a plaster wall with a texture like this. It would have been my choice to scrape it all off, but it's original to the house and the Mrs. requested that I try to save it.

I mixed some dry wall compound into some kilz primer until it was about like pancake batter (maybe 50/50). An sponge with large open pores did the work, I just splotched around til I was happy. Trial and error on scrap sheet rock was a must.

Jason Roehl
03-16-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm not a drywaller, but I often play one as a professional painter. That looks like plaster, not drywall. One of the biggest problems you'll run into trying to match that texture is that, if I am correct about it being plaster, it also likely has many coats of paint over it, which smooths out the sharp peaks through build-up.

Bob Vavricka
03-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Scott, the upper right looks like it was applied with a coarse brush--notice the straight lines. Then I would try a paint roller wet with the compound that has been diluted. I would try a fairly short nap roller and adjust the consistency of the compound (it will need to be pretty thin to roll) and the direction you roll to try to duplicate the texture. You can also try a coarse brush--dab the bristles into the compound at a 90 degree angle to the wall to pull the compound out into peaks. Overlap the dabs and vary the angle of the brush to create a random look. By the way, don't try to work too big an area at a time or your compound will start to thicken particularly on fresh sheetrock the paper will suck the moisture out pretty fast.

Brian J McMillan
03-17-2010, 1:20 AM
That looks like a bad job of old time plaster sponge texture. Kind of a misnomer though as a sponge was not used. Take an old piece of low pile carpet and cut it into a disk about 4 to 5 inches in diameter. Next take a large piece of cloth, cotton is OK and fold it over a couple of times. Center the disk in the cotton and gather it up, keeping it tight. Wrap the pulled up cloth tightly with Duct tape or wire. You now have a pad with a cloth handle.

For the mix you can use whatever is available. I prefer a product here called Spantex. It is the stuff that is sprayed on walls then troweled down. Sometimes I use Fastset for smaller jobs. If you want to soften the look let it dry or set and brush it softly with a damp soft paint brush.

The consistency of the mud should be fairly thin but still be able to cling to a knife or trowel. Spread a thin fairly even coat over a small area and start dabbing with the pad dipping it into the pail as you go. Try to keep a wet edge. You can vary the texture by twisting the pad as you dab or sliding it a little. You can let it stiffen a little and lightly knock the peaks down with your trowel for a different look.

Hope this makes sense and helps