PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about Honduran Huesito wood?

Joshua Dinerstein
03-16-2010, 7:02 PM
I had a neighbor offer me some. But I don't know much about it. It is a light colored wood that I had planned to use as an accent color to some laminated turnings I wanted to do.

But these were kitchen items. And I know that some south and central american woods are toxic and really not for food items. I ran a check on the wood on google and came up with almost nothing. So I was just thinking I would ask here before I did something else with the wood.

Anyone know anything about it or perhaps where I should look to find out more about it? I wondered if it had another English name but I couldn't find anything...

Attached is a picture of it that I found online.

Thanks!
Joshua

Steve Vaughan
03-16-2010, 9:06 PM
Sorry can't help much other than to say the grain/texture of it looks something like luan. It's too light, but almost a mahogany grain pattern to it. I'd agree with you wanting to have an idea of what it is before putting it around food, but, if you're using it only as an accent and if you're using a finish that seals it, I'd think you'd be alright...but that's just me.

Karl Card
03-17-2010, 12:57 AM
if your getting it for free or something next to nothing, well, get it and worry about what to do with it later...lol

I wished i could be of help. i do have some honduran rosewood but I believe it is darker than that..