PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander wraps

Frank Martin
03-16-2010, 6:23 PM
I just ordered a Jet 22x44 osciallting drum sander. Upon looking at different sandpaper options, I am thinking about getting bulk rolls at a much cheaper price rather than precut wraps. I am thinking I can use the 1 roll that comes with the sander to cut the rest to size / shape for the end taper. Is there something that I am overlooking that makes the precut wraps feasible for other people? Seems pretty straightforward to cut your own wraps....

What are your favorite sources for drum sander rolls (precut or bulk)?

Thanks in advance.

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2010, 6:44 PM
Cut your own. Use the one you have as a template. All you really need is the correct taper at each end. You will save a bundle.

Mitchell Andrus
03-16-2010, 6:56 PM
Cut your own. Use the one you have as a template. All you really need is the correct taper at each end. You will save a bundle.

Same, ditto.

Richard M. Wolfe
03-16-2010, 6:56 PM
I cut mine, Frank. Use a good quality abrasive with a cloth back. If you are going to sand sappy wood (pine) you can use a belt cleaning stick which will help but stuff will build up on the roll. When it becomes unusable with a cloth backed roll you can remove it and soak it in a solution of Simple Green and use a stiff (wire) brush to clean it. When making the rolls I find a tin snip works well to cut them. If you are going to sand glueups remove all the dried glue squeezout possible with a chisel, or putty knife if you catch it before it dries, as the heat from sanding melts the glue and when it gets on the belt its impossible to remove (at least I can't). I don't have a good source for you, though.

Rick Lizek
03-16-2010, 7:03 PM
Cut your own...
http://www.industrialabrasives.com/

Bruce Page
03-16-2010, 7:37 PM
I cut my own and have been happy with Woodmaster's paper.
I used to buy pre-cut when I had my Delta 18/36. It can get very expensive.

Chris Padilla
03-16-2010, 7:46 PM
Heck I make my own sandpaper!! Even cheaper! :D

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2010, 9:19 PM
" I make my own sandpaper..."

Getting the sand glued the paper is easy. But what do you use to glue the fuzzy stuff to the back? I can never get it to stick.

Joseph Tarantino
03-16-2010, 9:51 PM
rick, which spefic typres of wraps and grits do you find work well for you? thanks.