PDA

View Full Version : Printing from X5

Scott Challoner
03-16-2010, 5:01 PM
Is anybody else having this problem? When I hit the print icon, it takes 30 seconds before the print dialog box appears. After putting in my settings and hitting print, it takes over a minute to send the file to the laser. It's very frustrating when your testing a new material and your sending small files over very frequently. I am running on a laptop with Windows XP so maybe it's a hardware problem but it's still frustrating. I had no problems with X3. Any ideas?

Scott Challoner
03-16-2010, 5:33 PM
OK. When I pause my virus scan, it works fine. I have noticed lately that I have to do this to many routine tasks or the computer runs in super slo-mo. My issue is with Computer Associates, not Corel.

Thanks

Lee DeRaud
03-16-2010, 6:35 PM
OK. When I pause my virus scan, it works fine. I have noticed lately that I have to do this to many routine tasks or the computer runs in super slo-mo. My issue is with Computer Associates, not Corel.Oy. I had been using the CA security suite (free from Roadrunner), but when I upgraded to Windows 7 they claimed it wasn't compatible...dunno if it was Windows 7 in general or just the 64-bit version. So I switched everything over to Microsoft Security Essentials (also free), and everything seems to run much better, even on the old machine that's still running XP.

Of course, this is the fourth different antivirus I've used over the years, and I have yet to actually have one detect anything. :p

Scott Challoner
03-17-2010, 4:43 PM
Oy. I had been using the CA security suite (free from Roadrunner), but when I upgraded to Windows 7 they claimed it wasn't compatible...dunno if it was Windows 7 in general or just the 64-bit version. So I switched everything over to Microsoft Security Essentials (also free), and everything seems to run much better, even on the old machine that's still running XP.

Of course, this is the fourth different antivirus I've used over the years, and I have yet to actually have one detect anything. :p

I like how Roadrunner advertises "Blazing fast speeds," but then their AV suite slows you down to a crawl. I have to disable their firewall to order from many suppliers too. Switching to AVG.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
03-22-2010, 2:16 PM
Earlier I had posted a few messages on color management with X5...be sure to read those if you find that your engravings aren't coming out as dark as they should.
T.

Gary Hair
03-22-2010, 6:25 PM
I don't think it's your AV causing the slowdown. I have the exact same problem SLOOOOOOW printing. I installed X4 again to compare and the print dialogue is up almost as soon as my finger is off the mouse button. X5 it takes a good 30 seconds from click to print dialogue and the more time after I click print. Save isn't any faster in X5 either, X4 is fine.

My computer is a brand-new Core i7-860 with 8 gb ram, so it's definately not the computer, it's clearly X5.

Oh, and I can't get it to save guidelines but can save all other default settings....

That's what I get for getting it so soon.

Gary

Scott Challoner
03-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Gary: Although the problem wasn't there with X3, changing my AV definitely made a difference.

Thanks Tony. I read your earlier post and did set color management to off and default to RGB. The only problem I am having with color is that
I had done the same thing in X3, but apparently my color docker was still CMYK so now when I open something I had drawn in X3, it comes in as CMYK and I have to manually change all of the colors.

Mike Christen
03-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Unfortunately I purchased X5, big mistake from what I see. I was on beta testing and thought it was to early to release because there are many unresolved issues from what I saw. Always had problems with it crashing importing different files, rather than just saying could not open. I thought more issues would have been resolved in the final release but I was wrong. Has some good things but the issues out number the benefits IMO. So I'm back to using X3. I was pretty stupid to purchase it, hope they have a service pack soon. Is there a message here.:mad:

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
03-23-2010, 5:00 PM
Here are few that have been identified now that CGS is out in the field:
- Going to Tools>Options the application crashes if you have an NVidia card with an older driver running....an easy fix can be found here http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/18692.aspx
- having the undo docker open while opening some files will cause errors
- having the Fillet/Chamfer/Scallop docker open while selecting a lot of curves will cause errors..selecting a few objects shows no issues but if you marquee select the whole drawing and then click in the docker it doesn't like it.
HTH,
T.

David Harvey
03-23-2010, 6:51 PM
Here are few that have been identified now that CGS is out in the field:
- Going to Tools>Options the application crashes if you have an NVidia card with an older driver running....an easy fix can be found here http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/18692.aspx
- having the undo docker open while opening some files will cause errors
- having the Fillet/Chamfer/Scallop docker open while selecting a lot of curves will cause errors..selecting a few objects shows no issues but if you marquee select the whole drawing and then click in the docker it doesn't like it.
HTH,
T.
Tony,
I haven't experienced the problems you mentioned and my print dialog comes up in less than a second, but let me ask if this one has come up...

Quite often Corel gets mixed up in the Open versues Import functions. I often do a lot of importing of jpg's or eps files and find that along the way Corel will suddently think I'm using the Open funtion when I attempt an import. The fix is to select the Open function, hit cancel and then go back to do the import where it now works properly. Eventually it will cycle thru to this same problem while in the same layout. I run into this all the time and it did this in X4 too.

One other little thing I experienced was when I needed to open one of my X4 files, select a graphic from the file and Export it as a jpg for a customer. Everything worked ok, but when I went to close the file and selecting 'Yes' to the save dialog it wouldn't close and remained on the screen. Selecting File/Close again was impossible because the selection was now grayed out. Corel thought it was closed and gone. It wouldn't let me make a change to the file to force a new save cycle (because it thought it was already history or something?!?!?).
I had other layouts open and I proceeded to close all of them, which went ok, but that 1 file was still there and I couldn't get rid of it. Corel wouldn't even let me exit. Had to Ctl-Alt-Del to get out.
This only happened once, so far. I only mention this as this is a new release and it could be helpful info for the Corel programmers down the road for the 1st maintenance release.

Other than the above...X5 has been a great performer for me. Love it!

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
03-24-2010, 9:26 AM
Tony,
Quite often Corel gets mixed up in the Open versues Import functions.

That's a new one for me..I've never seen or heard of that.

T.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
03-24-2010, 9:29 AM
Tony,
Everything worked ok, but when I went to close the file and selecting 'Yes' to the save dialog it wouldn't close and remained on the screen.

Now that DRAW is using multiple processors it has to wait for all processes to finish before it can close out. If that happens again, check the status bar next to the fill icons and see if there is an icon down there that's either showing save, print or a pair of rotating arrows. Click on that icon and it will give you the status of what is going on in the background. Once that process has finished then you would be able to close the file.

HTH,
T.

David Harvey
03-24-2010, 9:49 AM
That's a new one for me..I've never seen or heard of that.

T.
I don't know what triggers it, but I'll try and take note the next time it happens as to what I was doing just before it happens and let you know what I was doing at the time.