PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that is like this

Jay Jolliffe
03-16-2010, 5:01 PM
I wish we had a reset for the brain. I get very obsessed when I work. Which is all the time.That's all I think about is work. While I'm driving, eating , just sitting there. I can't shut it off. If the people I due work for had to pay for the hours upon hours I think about their job I'd be a very rich person. My wife she doesn't even need to ask, she can just feel the vibes from me & my head. Sometimes it get real uncomfortable & I don't know how to stop it. When she goes away I'm working in the shop at 4:30 to 5:00 am until about 7 to 8 pm. Sometimes no lunch or dinner I just work I cant do that when she's here because I don't want to wake her at 4:30 am. There was a time that that a chemically induced coma would shut it off but I gave that up years ago.....so does anyone have a way to just mellow out.

dan sherman
03-16-2010, 5:06 PM
in moderation.... over 21 beverage of choice, and watch other people work.

http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks.asp the ones with "*" have online videos

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/category/video/all-videos/

http://www.newyankee.com/index.php

Prashun Patel
03-16-2010, 5:09 PM
I hear that woodworking is a good way to take your mind off of your day job...;)

Jim Rimmer
03-16-2010, 5:12 PM
I find myself designing projects in my head when I try to go to sleep. I had a problem turning of the work thoughts for a while and started having a glass of Irish whiskey at night. It helped me sleep but got expensive and at the rate I built up to wasn't good for me. So, I talked to my doc and told him what was going on and that I wanted something to help me sleep but that I didn't want a sedative. If I was going to use drugs I would continue with the whiskey because it worked and I liked it. He gave me rozarem (sp) which is a melatonin exciter that makes the melatonin receptors more eager to accept melatonin and help you doze off. It worked, I quit the whiskey, I wasn't sedated, I didn't feel drowsy when I woke up and after I while I even quit the rozarem.

Summary: Talk to your doc about rozarem (if sleep is the problem). It's a drug but not a sedative. Only side effect I noticed was a slight headache some mornings that dissipated quickly.

Good luck. I know it can be frustrating; I went through it for many years. At one point when I had a bad boss, I couldn't go to sleep at all on Sunday nights just dreading the next day.

Jay Jolliffe
03-16-2010, 5:26 PM
Thanks for the replies....Shawn, woodworking is my day job. I love working with wood. It's real satisfying to take a few rough boards & produce something beautiful. In September last year my wife & I went to Italy for 4 weeks. I didn't think about work to often. So I guess I have to leave the country to reset my head :D That was the first vacation we had in about 10 years.

Karl Card
03-16-2010, 5:44 PM
see there ya go,,, go to italy more often...lol

Jim Beachler
03-16-2010, 6:32 PM
I find that when I have too much going through my head, I go for a ride on my trike (a pedal powered one). I find that the time without the phone or any thing else to distract me, results in all of the things going through my head to be worked out or come to a stopping point.

This generally takes about 45 - 60 minutes. By then I am wore out from the workout, that I have no problem going to sleep.

Of course, the next morning at 4:30, I am up and at it again.

Just an another idea.

Mitchell Andrus
03-16-2010, 6:58 PM
I hear that woodworking is a good way to take your mind off of your day job...;)

I hear that your day job is a good way to take your mind off of woodworking.

Belinda Barfield
03-17-2010, 8:08 AM
Jay,

First, I too have difficulty shutting off the brain. I try to think of other things, but my mind always seems to come back around to work. I wake at 1 a.m. and can't go back to sleep, and if I do go back to sleep it's about fifteen minutes before I have to get up. I find that a good, long workout helps. I just can't manage to work one into my schedule every day.

Second, a view from the "other side". I live with someone just like you. He lives, eats, and breathes work. He would work 24 hours a day if his body would let him. Here's the kicker . . . we own a business together. Even when I manage to turn off work, he can't. He talks about it constantly. We've tried the "leave work at work" thing, but he just can't. In the middle of a movie he will mute the TV to talk about work. So, from a woman's perspective, it can be very frustrating to live with someone who is so focused on work. Maybe you could try to set aside one weekend a month, or every other month, that you go out of town, you don't have to go far - just far enough, leave the phone behind, and just relax with your wife.

Good luck!

Jay Jolliffe
03-17-2010, 6:21 PM
He sounds just like me Belinda, exactly. My wife finds it hard sometimes to live with me. We happen to live on an island so it takes a bit to take off. Last boat is at 5:00pm so we have to rush back. Also there is nothing to do for entertainment or places to eat out. The two stores that we have close at 5:30 Sometimes we do go off to the movies or to do a little shopping. I've always been like this. It's frustrating to me because I can't shut it off. It could be worse I guess. I could not have work to obsess about then what.:confused:

Gene Crain
03-17-2010, 7:19 PM
...it's called bipolar :cool: