PDA

View Full Version : Might be gloat worthy

Marty Paulus
03-16-2010, 2:41 PM
I answered an ad on CL for some hand planes. This is what I got. A jack plane, two bench planes (one is a Dunlap), a couple of incomplete Stanley 220's and something similar to the 220 only smaller. I am still working on the ID of all but the 220's. Any insight on what you think they may be would be appreciated. Oh yea all this for $20. The jack plane and the bench planes are usable after some clean up and sharpening. Not sure of the usability of the 220's yet as one has the mouth broken open.

Jim Koepke
03-16-2010, 3:32 PM
Looks like you may be on your way down the slope of hunting rust.

If you look on ebay, you will see that many will pay more than $20 for just a set of handles for a bench plane.

Take them apart and soak them in citric or vinegar and they should clean up well.

Can't tell more about the bench planes without some better individual pictures of them disassembled.

jim

James Taglienti
03-16-2010, 6:33 PM
Nice - a 3, 4, 5, what looks like a 60 1/2, and two standard angle blocks? what could possibly have been someone's working set?
gloat away! thats great for $20

Marty Paulus
03-17-2010, 10:43 AM
I will try to get some better pictures this weekend. Thanks for the starting points though.