PDA

View Full Version : Update on the Leaf Blower (Jet 1200C)

Tyler Howell
11-06-2004, 1:21 PM
Took about 40 minutes to assemble. I played well into the night after a long day but I was motivated. The 3 in casters are a real plus on the rough shop floor. I wired in a switched 20Amp outlet that is controlled by my "Dennis rip off wireless remote". The designated area is the old coal bin of my 100 year old home. I've insulated it for sound deadening and will move both it and the compressor back there when the time comes.
I used some of Frank's techniques for laying out the DC duct route. I'm going to sit tight on that phase for a while as some new career opportunities in or 50th state have opened that I am considering.
Hooked up a few of the machines with available 4" duct and hose left over from my old installation. Not the most efficient, but I didn't want to cut any duct or hose till my plans have firmed up. An assortment of quick disconnects and blast gates give all the key players access to the DC.
My sailing buddy Don stopped bye with 100 bf of cherry, pecan, and maple for milling. He was shocked at the substantial wood tax for working in my shop.
Both the jet a DeWalt 734 worked admirably. As a matter of fact, a blast gate on the Excalibur was open and it still sucked all but a few stragglers.
The true test will be when I cut some MDF this afternoon.
Very high marks for the Jet. Efficient, easy to operate, and more quiet than the Leaf blower. Installing the chip bag is a bit of a challenge. It's a 3 handed job.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13446 (http://<font%20color=/)

John Miliunas
11-06-2004, 1:40 PM
Good going there, Tyler! :) Exactly what rate DO you charge for your "wood tax"?! :eek:

50th state? What?! You can't even go skiing there, 'cuz it's always too warm, you'd constantly be distracted by all the half naked babes running around, you'd have to lose half your wardrobe, you'd be stuck working with woods like Koa, Mango, Eucalyptus and Bluegum, there'd be half naked babes running around, your nice Tojo wouldn't be necessary, 'cuz there's no snow, you'd probably be stuck buying a convertible, there'd be half na..... Wait! Can I come with?! :D :) :cool:

Michael Stafford
11-06-2004, 2:10 PM
Temperate weather, half naked babes, beautiful exotic woods, and career improvement versus brrrrrMinneapolis and pleasantly plump snow bunnies; I can't understand why that would be a hard decision. I'm voting for oiling the half naked babes, er the beautiful exotic woods...

Dick Parr
11-06-2004, 4:41 PM
The new tools look good Tyler. You need to get you a separator now so you don't have to empty that bag so often. Think about that 50th state real good before you go. Been there, done that, (7 years) and won't go back. You will get rock fever :eek: and if you like different seasons, you will miss 3 of them. :( Nice place to visit from what I've been told. ;)

Jerry Olexa
11-06-2004, 5:31 PM
Even w the half naked babes? DC looking good. A separator might helpw chips and bigger debris and save emptying so often, Grizzly has a $19,95 one available now . Later, we'll need pics of the babes..

Dan Mages
11-06-2004, 8:07 PM
lookin good Mr T. I really need to look into one of them DCs.

Dan

Half naked babes? Which half? Top or bottom?? ;)

Tyler Howell
11-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Did I say 50:confused: I did:eek: Sorry:o . I meant 49. My Bad! Geography, reading, writing, math, music, science and history weren't my strong courses in school. I was great at recess!
Yes it is Alaska, A thirty year dream may come true. Won't know till April.
The DC is working great. Nothing like another horse in the team and 600 more CFM .
I have a separator and plugged it in today. still works great. Thanks
Remember this.

:mad: I want you to know I only go to these exotic places (Tahiti in February )to meet women for their intelligence, inner beauty, and personal strength.:cool: :cool:

Bob Weisner
11-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Tyler:

I noticed your dust collector has a clear plastic bag. Are they reusable? Also , the top bag looks different in the picture. Is that a regular dust collector bag?

Thanks,

Bob

Steve Clardy
11-07-2004, 2:18 PM
Looking good Tyler.:)

You really need to be building that UPS unloading dock though, all those goodies showing up at your door once a day.:eek::eek::D

Boyd Gathwright
11-07-2004, 4:41 PM
…. So you too decided to come over to the canister type DC, they are a good gap filler on the way to an upside down silo. Now you will have to make your unit very efficient by running schedule 2729, the six-inch variety, to handle all your new machines :rolleyes: .
<O:p</O:p

Boyd

Tyler Howell
11-07-2004, 4:59 PM
Tyler:

I noticed your dust collector has a clear plastic bag. Are they reusable? Also , the top bag looks different in the picture. Is that a regular dust collector bag?

Thanks,

BobHi Bob,
The Heavy Duty bag I think was intended as a "tuck-it and chuck-it". I just dumpep my first load in the compost bin and put it back in business this morning. The bags are pretty pricy.
That is a 5 micron Jet DC bag on the Leaf blower I took off the clearance table at Rockler. It actually worked pretty good for a Rube Goldberg project.

Now you will have to make your unit very efficient by running schedule 2729, the six-inch variety, to handle all your new machines :rolleyes: .

Yah Boyd, As I said I'm planning, but going to wait and see what happens with this move. I can start work tomorrow if I want to move myself.:mad: My employer is picking and choosing who they give PCS to:confused: .

Tyler Howell
11-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Before the Neander orgy at my place yesterday I gave the new Jet 1200 DC its final exam. Ripping MDF has always caused a dust storm in my shop and today it was sever clear. No turbulence under the blade guard hood, common with all other combinations of DC. Checked the air filter and there were no signs of lung disease it always exhibits after a MDF session. Now if I could just get somebody else to haul out the DC bags life will be perfect.:cool:

John Miliunas
11-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Remember this.

:mad: I want you to know I only go to these exotic places (Tahiti in February )to meet women for their intelligence, inner beauty, and personal strength.:cool: :cool:

Ahhhh....Just one number, but just a "few" states off! :eek: As long as you're happy with the decision, that's all that really matters, after all. :)

Now, as for the closing statements you make, I'm thinking they *might* be off just a TAD, as well! :D :) :cool: