PDA

View Full Version : Jointer/Planer Work

Johnnyy Johnson
03-16-2010, 2:08 PM
I have called several hardwood outlets in my area and asked about what their charges are for jointing and planning hardwood. Three said we do not do it and one described this process. We only face lumber we sell, not yours. We charge .40 cents a BF to do 3 sides and .80 for all four.They run it through a machine that ruff planes one side and then the next machine cuts one edge and planes the top in one pass with a drum sander on the outfeed. They do not have a jointer. Not the process I had in mind. I was trying to find out the going rate for dressing a board by jointing the face and edges and then planing from 4/4 to 13/16". I have several friends that have tools but none of the have the jointers and planers. So...they want me to do it for them. At the risk of starting WWIII ( remember my question on pricing kitchen cabs.) what is you guys best guess on what to charge friends, considering ware and tare on blades and a little labor?
What would you charge a stranger? What do hardwood outlets in your area charge? Not trying to make a living here, just having fun. After all, it want take long before the fun is gone and its now work, if you dont get alittle something for your efforts.

Thanks
Johnny

Thanks

Ray Newman
03-16-2010, 2:34 PM
As far as I know, none of the small mills and sawyers around here will dress lumber that they have not cut.

I am fortunate enough to have a jointer and a planer, but will not dress anyone else’s wood as the cost of replacing nicked or damaged blades can get expensive as well as time consuming. This what the sawyers and small mills also tell me.

Supposedly, magnetic metal finders that you move over rough or reclaimed wood will pick out the metal. But I ’dunno’ if they are 100% fool proof/reliable and I have a feeling that like everything else, a good unit probably is not exactly inexpensive.

Plus you ’nevva’ know when you will run into the guy whose boards cupped after planning because he did not sticker them to let them acclimate again and blame the resulting problems it on you.

Do not think it is worth any potential problems. But, maybe I’m getting to an age in my life where I just do not want any problems with neighbors, friends, etc.,??

Chip Lindley
03-16-2010, 3:37 PM
I have several friends that have tools but none of the have the jointers and planers. So...they want me to do it for them.

IF your friends have never jointed/planed their own wood, they have no idea how much labor is involved. To some, it may not appear like much. In addition to time spent, there is wear and tear on blades and machinery. Also, the inevitable disposal of a mountain of shavings after planing a pickup load of oak!

Basically, it's not worth it, unless you feel like helping a guy out, either for free, or for cash or barter agreeable to both. IF only a few boards, that's one thing! If a truckload, quite another! Under all circumstances, I would insist they take their *sawdust* with them when they take their nicely planed lumber home!

Philip Rodriquez
03-16-2010, 4:31 PM
+1 for Chip. I'd do it for a friend and I would work out something like lunch or dinner. However, I'd make them do all the work :D and empty my cyclone... and clean my shop!

Peter Quinn
03-16-2010, 4:49 PM
Where I work, we dress boards by straight lining one edge, planning both faces, rip the second edge parallel, and will wide belt too if desired, the charges for this are similar to what you describe. i think they charge per pass per bf? These services are preferred by contractors that don't require truly flat material, or cabinet makers who will be processing and further flattening the material.

We also "flatten" wood, which involves jointer, planer, etc. This service is sold at $60/hour mill rate, and it adds up quick enough. We have flattened and planned other peoples wood, but it was for people the boss new well or regular customers. Generally we do not process wood purchased elsewhere, particularly reclaimed wood. Just not worth the risk.

For friends? That is dicey business. Charge too much, and they will get mad. Charge too little, they will love your service, you will have plenty of work, but you may get mad!

Prashun Patel
03-16-2010, 5:07 PM
Around me, one mill will s4s, rip, and crosscut your lumber for a fee of $60/20mins. Any set up is included in that price. There's a minimum charge sometimes.

I HATE jointing/ripping/and dimensioning lumber. It's the most dangerous and least satisfying part of the project. However, knowing how long it takes me to do all that prep myself, I've always feared it'd cost me a couple hundred $$ to have them prep it for me.

Also, plan on buying extra rough material to make the process quicker for them.

Johnnyy Johnson
03-17-2010, 6:46 AM
Thanks Guys...This has been so helpful. I think I'll do some till the new wares off. BTW...Cant beat using someones Else's hardwood to break in my new jointer and hoan new skills.

Thanks
Johnny