PDA

View Full Version : How do I sell hand tools?

Jim Rimmer
03-16-2010, 1:54 PM
I have some Disston saws, a couple of braces, some auger bits and a few planes I picked up when my Father passed away a couple of years ago. I have picked out what I want to keep and would like to sell the rest to fund my woodworking. I have two questions:
1. How do I price them? I know I could do a lot of web research and still probably get it wrong.

2. How do I get a realistic estimate of shipping costs?

I would like to offer them first to the Neander community at SMC because I know they would go to a good home but I don't want to price myself out of the game nor give them away.

Any help wpuld be appreciated.

Jim Koepke
03-16-2010, 2:21 PM
Pricing is always a difficult process. Seldom is something selling on ebay an exact match for what we might have to sell. Often items on ebay have no bidders or they have a few over enthusiastic bidders.

I have been watching prices on ebay for a few years now and can say it still doesn't make sense.

My way of pricing has a few steps. First is to try and determine what is taking place with the item in a reasonable market. Second is to determine what would I be willing to pay for the item, plus how much work was put into the item to get it into the shape it is in. This is not a good determination unless on some items 50 cents an hour is a good wage. Finally, I imagine a stack of money next to the item and how much money would have to be in the stack to prefer the money over the item.

Then there is always one philosophy of selling that I have shared with others. When setting a fixed price on an item for sell, it is much easier to drop the price if it does not sell. If it sells in 5 minutes, it is too late to raise the price.

In the end, you need to sell with an honest description of the item, not just the highlights, but the warts and scars also should be there.

As for shipping, go to the post office and see if they carry the Priority Mail Flat Rate packages. Most postal locations carry them. These are free and are marked only to be used for there intended purpose. If your items fit in these, then the postage is easy to figure since it is charged by size and not weight. Check USPS.com for pricing.

Most saws will not fit into these boxes. The large flat box may be able to accommodate tenon and dovetail saws. For larger items, you will have to find or make boxes and then ship by weight and zone. For this to work out easily, you may need to purchase a postal scale. When you are done with it you may be able to sell it.

If you have to make your own boxes, you may be able to get cardboard from some of the retailers in your area. Many appliances still ship in cardboard containers as does some furniture.

Good luck,

jim

joe milana
03-16-2010, 2:23 PM
I went through the same thing. How about just posting some pictures here and finding out if there is any interest, maybe some offers, and I know you will get plenty of opinions. I believe this is an honest enough, and knowledgeable crowd, and knowing that your things will go to a good home holds some merit. Good luck

Jim Koepke
03-16-2010, 2:26 PM
I think the rules in the terms of use do not allow "what is this worth" threads in any other than the Classifieds.

However, to my knowledge there is no rule against posting such a thread in the Classifieds and then posting a mention about it in the Neanderthal Haven conference.

jim

george wilson
03-16-2010, 2:30 PM
These days it is easy to look up tools on Ebay,especially in the Collectible Tools section.It isn't so easy to know,though,if you have a very rare,and valuable item. It may look like other tools,but may be special in some way you don't realize. The only cure for that is a lot of studying books,or possibly having knowledgeable friends to ask.

You can just say cost plus actual shipping charges,and avoid the trouble of estimating shipping charges.

James Taglienti
03-16-2010, 6:34 PM
Post a couple pictures of each and we can price them pretty accurately if you'd like.

David Gendron
03-16-2010, 8:24 PM
Maybe have a look at the different tool dealer like The Best Thing, Jim Bode Tools, Brass city Records and tools. It should give you an idea of the $$.