PDA

View Full Version : Carving Dead Trees in Galveston Texas

Walter Mooney
03-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm usually lurking in the Turners' forum, but I thought I'd post this link for you carvers to an article that came out this past Sunday in the Houston Chronicle, highlighting something quite positive that has come out of the devastation that resulted from Hurricane Ike. The loss of ~ 40,000 trees is horrible. Some of us turners have gotten wood from Galveston -- the GCWA club has been making regular runs down there to pick up wood by the pickup truck load. This, however, is a different twist on what can happen when governments exercise a little common sense!

Any carvers out there want to volunteer their services for this effort????

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/bay/news/6912212.html

Belinda Barfield
03-16-2010, 1:08 PM
Watler, thank you so much for sharing this. This is an outstanding example of a community working together to recover from disaster. The city officials allowing property owners to keep a reminder of a tree that meant so much to them is wonderful. The fact that the sculptures now attracts tourists to the area is just an added bonus. Do you know if there is a site to view the sculptures? I'd really like to see the last one mentioned in the article, the 18 birds. Thanks again for sharing.:)

Walter Mooney
03-18-2010, 1:13 PM
Belinda,
I haven't been able to find a site that has them all shown. That is the one I too want most to see.
I'll be spending Easter weekend down in Galveston, and it's already in the plans to go out searching for all of them. So when I find it, I'll take a bunch of pictures and come back here and post them!

Belinda Barfield
03-18-2010, 1:16 PM
Great! Happy hunting (both sculptures and eggs)! Can't wait to see the pics.