PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielson Toolsworks Handtool Event in Kansas City

Rob Young
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
http://kcwoodworkersguild.org/Events/Events.htm#Lie-Neilsen

Its getting closer and closer! March 26th and 27th!

SMC's very own Jr. Strasil will be there too.

Rob

joe milana
03-16-2010, 1:38 PM
Can't wait, hope they don't take credit cards! ;)

Dan Sink
03-16-2010, 2:07 PM
Can't wait, hope they don't take credit cards! ;)

I went to the one last weekend in Minneapolis. My suggestion is that you bring the amount of money you are willing to part with in cash and leave your credit cards, debit card, and check book at home. Otherwise, here will be the likely sequence of feelings your trip will elicit from your spouse when you get home.

:eek: when you tell her how much you spent
:( after it sinks in
:mad: after she's had a few hours to let it boil

I was proud of myself for limiting my spending to $175. My wife for some reason didn't see it from the same perspective as myself.

joe milana
03-16-2010, 2:13 PM
You should have told her how much you saved, not how much you spent.

Dan Sink
03-16-2010, 2:21 PM
You should have told her how much you saved, not how much you spent.

LOL! You are correct of course, that would have been the better approach. I bought a tite-mark and some accessories, along with a DVD. But I was so close to getting a #4-1/2 instead. So really, I saved $150 by my amazing feat of will power.

Its not that she was mad at me, she knew I was going to get something. Its just that she didn't seem to think I displayed enormous powers of self restraint in the same way that I did.

Here is a tip, if you order off the Internet you won't have to pay local sales tax, whereas if you buy at the event you will. And as an attendee of the event they will offer free shipping off of an order placed within a month of the event. So if you can wait a bit to get your tools, you can avoid tax and shipping.

george wilson
03-16-2010, 2:32 PM
I'm going to a show,and,as suggested,taking how much cash I am really willing to spend.

Angie Kopacek
03-16-2010, 5:20 PM
You can still put in your order at the event, though, and if it's shipped they won't charge sales tax or shipping.

And yes, they do take credit cards. :)

LOL! You are correct of course, that would have been the better approach. I bought a tite-mark and some accessories, along with a DVD. But I was so close to getting a #4-1/2 instead. So really, I saved $150 by my amazing feat of will power.

Its not that she was mad at me, she knew I was going to get something. Its just that she didn't seem to think I displayed enormous powers of self restraint in the same way that I did.

Here is a tip, if you order off the Internet you won't have to pay local sales tax, whereas if you buy at the event you will. And as an attendee of the event they will offer free shipping off of an order placed within a month of the event. So if you can wait a bit to get your tools, you can avoid tax and shipping.

harry strasil
03-31-2010, 11:24 PM
I had fun at the Lie Nielson hand tool event. The Thursday night members only presentation sure would have gotten some of the members here in an uproar, it was on sharpening. LOL

I over did it Friday, (was on my feet too long) and my back let me know it. so Saturday I was more of a chair setter than a demonstrator, but I got some time in and Don Peterson came in and helped me.

Al Navas took some video while at the event and posted it on his blog, http://sandal-woodsblog.com/2010/03/28/lie-nielsen-event-in-kansas-city/ he even got me working and evidently his camera did not break.

While I was loading up, one of the Lie Nielson people came over and invited me to demo at some of their other events, but I had to turn them down as Long drives are really hard on me and also their is the moola problem as I am on SS now. But I had a hard time with my cap fitting for awhile. LOL

Took me awhile to recover from the weekend, but I spent about 4 or 5 hours at my Blacksmith Shop today, it was in the low 80's here today, making Holdfasts to try and keep up with orders.

Thank you to all who have ordered.

Zach England
03-31-2010, 11:37 PM
The jointer plane demo in that video was really helpful for me. Is that you?

harry strasil
03-31-2010, 11:44 PM
I was dressed in brown Carharrt bibs with a flag cap and I was using a long woody jointer, not sure which one you are referring too.

Al Navas
04-01-2010, 7:54 AM
The jointer plane demo in that video was really helpful for me. Is that you?
Zack,

If it helps, Jr Strasil first appears at 9:10 minutes in the video. After using the frame saw he uses the large wooden jointer on one edge.

Zach England
04-01-2010, 8:34 AM
I was actually referring to the demo with the LN 8 where he talks about planing diagonally across the board. I didn't make it 9 minutes in. I'll check that out tonight.

Dave Anderson NH
04-01-2010, 9:15 AM
Gee, now I know what Junior looks like. Great Demo. The amazing thing to me was that I saw folks that DIDN't have gray hair and weren't bald.:D

Al Navas
04-01-2010, 10:21 AM
I was actually referring to the demo with the LN 8 where he talks about planing diagonally across the board. I didn't make it 9 minutes in. I'll check that out tonight.

Zach,

The segment with the LN jointer at 5 to 6 minutes is Deneb, the hand plane expert with Lie-Nielsen. Jr Strasil appears in the later segment I mentioned earlier.

Al Navas
04-01-2010, 5:15 PM
Gee, now I know what Junior looks like. Great Demo. The amazing thing to me was that I saw folks that DIDN't have gray hair and weren't bald.:D

Dave,

You are right - I might have been THE only guy attending this Event who is going bald... :D

Tri Hoang
04-01-2010, 5:33 PM
I wish I know how to get a LN show here in Albuquerque.

harry strasil
04-01-2010, 6:26 PM
LOL Al, Bill Ward was really a bright spot at the event.

Chuck Saunders
04-02-2010, 8:12 AM
I wish I know how to get a LN show here in Albuquerque.

It might be as simple as asking. If there is a guild or club in town that could help "sponsor" the event It might add another brownie point. In KC, our guild provided the space and some people to staff the event. LN did the rest.