PDA

View Full Version : Just Plane crazy... (Gloat)

Rick Markham
03-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Well I went and did it I had to order a companion for my lone LN 8 Jointer, My LN 60 1/2 Block plane came yesterday :) Now I am waiting on my Shapton glass stones to show up (2000, 6000, & 16000). Sorry fellas, but I had to share... Without shavings... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/005.jpg

With Shavings.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/007-1.jpg

Jim Koepke
03-16-2010, 2:37 PM
Nice, you will like it even more when you give a little more sharpness to the blade. LNs are ready to go, but even they will admit that the blade can benefit from a little fine honing.

The 60-1/2 is on my wish list.

jim

george wilson
03-16-2010, 2:39 PM
That is my best block plane model.

Richard Dooling
03-16-2010, 2:50 PM
My best block plane too. It's the tool that started me down the slippery slope. It's the plane that showed me what a good plane can do. I now have around twenty planes - not nearly enough!

The LOML bought me this a little over two years ago for our second anniversary - so I get to blame her!

Tony Shea
03-16-2010, 3:21 PM
You should love this plane. I have been recently contemplating buying the rabbet version of this block plane as of late I have run into situations where the blade going to the edge would help me a great deal. Recently on some small raised panel doors and some larger tenons I had to thin the cheeks with a block plane and a chisel next to the shoulders. Just can't go wrong with Lie Neilson planes.

Actually at the end of this week I'm going to take a day and check out their showroom over in Warren. I'm in Bar Harbor so it'l take about a 2 hours or slightly less to get there. I've always wanted to check them out but never took the time. But I found a lumber yard in Warren to get good Birdseye and Curly Maple from so I am killing two birds with one stone. Sorry for the ramble.

Rick Erickson
03-16-2010, 4:09 PM
Holy Crap! It's a good thing I had my computer sound muted at work. I think the Hallelujah chorus just fired off when I opened this thread. Nice grab! I love this plane.

Rick Markham
03-16-2010, 5:44 PM
Thanks Guys, I already love it! Yes I can't wait for the Shapton stones to show up, I am looking forward to getting it super sharp. I knew I was in trouble when I held my LN jointer, and I know this little gem is going to be even more useful (that's why I got the holster for it too!) I appreciate all of the input ya'll give me. I am looking forward to hopefully getting a set of LN bevel edge chisels soon, and hopefully a 4 1/2 smoother. I just can't decide whether to get the standard angle, York Pitch or Middleton pitch frog first. So many tools, so little time... A trip to the LN showroom, Curly maple, and birdseye maple all in one trip, I am envious... it is a much farther drive than 2 hours from Florida for that!;)

Rick Erickson
03-16-2010, 8:37 PM
Tough call on the frog. I have a 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 with regular frogs. I bought a 55-degree frog that I could use for either one of these but I don't really use it all that often. I like to leave my planes as-is once they are setup properly. I bought a LV BUS for high-angle stuff if my 4 1/2 can't handle it (which is rare). I might be willing to sell the HA frog if you are interested. Just send me a PM.

Rick Markham
03-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Rick, I know me, I am like you. The chances of me actually changing out the frog once my plane is set up is slim to none. What's your opinion, should I opt for the 4 1/2 with the standard angle blade, then later pick up another one with a higher angle later. Right now I am trying to decide which one is going to be most useful to me. Generally I am working with hard woods, and highly figured woods. I realize that there are going to be a bunch more planes in my future. Thanks I appreciate the help :cool:

Derek Cohen
03-17-2010, 1:36 AM
Hi Rick

On the topic of Shaptons, who recommended 2000/6000/16000?

Generally, the recommendation is 1000/5000/XXXX. You may find that the 2000 is harder work to establish a primary bevel. Look into this before you use it, so you can change out the stone(s) if you wish.

The #60 1/2 is an excellent plane - I've had one for several years.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rick Erickson
03-17-2010, 6:55 AM
If I had to do it over again I would probably go with the 50-degree frog on the 4 1/2 and leave it there. If you need a higher angle later on buy a bevel up plane. You could always put a back bevel on your 4 1/2 but then again you are messing with your setup. It all comes down to $s. If you have the $s to spend I would dedicate your planes instead of always swapping out blades/frogs (but that's just me).

I'm with Derek on the stones. You should at least get a 1000 Shapton for your initial sharpening (after coming off the grinder). For plane blades I'm typically 1000 and 16000 and that is it. Some would argue the 16000 is overkill while some would say it isn't enough. So this is a happy medium for me (plus the cost of the 32000 is a mortage payment). Of course you may already be a sharpening expert and are comfortable with your setup - if so, ignore everyone's opinions. I've learned this is a very hot and opinionated topic (mine included) so find what works for you and stick with it. I will say you can't get much better than the Shapton stones (at least for woodworking).

Rick Markham
03-17-2010, 8:13 AM
;) No worries fellas, I actually have 3 coarser wet stones from being a chef!

Kevin McMichael
03-18-2010, 10:52 AM
That will be my next woodworking purchase.

Rick Markham
03-18-2010, 9:00 PM
It's fantastic right out of the box Kevin! It was money well spent, I can tell It is going to get used everyday I am tinkering around in the shop.

Tri Hoang
03-18-2010, 10:35 PM
The LN 60-1/2 block is comfortable to hold & use...just don't drop it. It's one of the most useful planes in the shop. I've good results with Sharpton Pro 1500 and 12000. I've got a King 6000 sitting in the middle but don't really need it.

Bob Jones
03-19-2010, 12:27 AM
I had a LN 4 1/2 with the 50deg HAF. I did not really like the higher angle. Working with cherry, the 50deg frog did no better than my old #4 stanley with a Hock blade. I bought the 4 1/2 thinking it was the ultimate smoother and ended up using my old #4 because it worked just as well and was more comfortable.

Of course, I don't know much.

lowell holmes
03-19-2010, 8:23 AM
I think it is obvious trhat four planes are required, with both frogs for each size plane.:)

Rick Markham
03-20-2010, 3:15 AM
Lowell, I like the way you think ;)!

Tri, I am particularly careful about not dropping my tools, though accidents do happen. I try to keep "everything in it's place" to help prevent accidentally knocking something off my bench/ work surface. (I can be a clutz sometimes, this was something I learned early about caring for my professional kitchen tools)

Jim, boy I tell ya... once there is a nice edge honed on the 60 1/2 and the No.8, the difference is night and day! Such a pleasing sound, an almost musical sound of a sharp plane working :)

Rick and Bob, it's still a toss up for me as to which 4 1/2 to get, I appreciate all opinions, I am learning and don't have enough experience to have formulated my likes and dislikes yet ;) Now if only there was a way to test drive em.

Rick Erickson
03-20-2010, 6:08 PM
It sure would be nice to have a place to test drive on different woods. But of course part of the fun is the hunt :D.