PDA

View Full Version : Turning green blanks is apparently an aquired taste

Bob Borzelleri
03-16-2010, 10:32 AM
I cut a few blanks from a mystery tree that I helped a friend trim last week. Yesterday I mounted one up. Started out with safety glasses and a cheapie dust mask. After about 10 minutes I went to a face shield. By the time I got to shaping the bottom of the bowl, I was wearing the Triton hard hat full face respirator and wondering where I put that Tyvek suit I used last year for spraying poison oak. Now I wish I had installed a shower in the shop. :rolleyes:

Charlie Reals
03-16-2010, 10:44 AM
I just spit coffee all over my desk:D:D. I have been turning some wet wet sugar pine and have thought of bringing out the rain gear.
Your poison oak comment is well noted, the other half told me flat out not to bring anything home with poison Oak on it.

John Keeton
03-16-2010, 10:47 AM
And, you guys all laugh at me for buying dry wood to turn!!!!:D:D:D

Charlie Reals
03-16-2010, 11:05 AM
And, you guys all laugh at me for buying dry wood to turn!!!!:D:D:D
I wouldn't laugh at ya John. Maybe chuckle a little. The wife told me if I wont start turning some of the large stack of exotics I have I can't buy any more.

Bob, wet manzanita will soak you good but it turns nice and if you keep the end grain sealed once in awhile it wont crack.
Charlie

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Bob - that's half the fun of turning green! I have actually worn a waterproof hunting poncho when turning super wet maple. Works great but won't win any fashion awards!

When in my shop you can also see the tell-tale stripe in a couple of places where the water sprayed - up on the ceiling, down the back wall and on the canvas curtain I installed - just to prevent spray from going everywhere! It's fun but doesn't taste anything like maple syrup!

Baxter Smith
03-16-2010, 11:15 AM
The wall behind my lathe is a little discolored! I seem to be stuck on green wood at the moment. Guess I'm attracted to the "free" aspect of it and saving something that was going to go to waste otherwise. The money saved seems to be dissappearing quickly enough on other turning toys!

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2010, 11:18 AM
I have the same stripe as Steve does and I will continue to turn green wood because it sure is easier on this old body.:o

Frank Van Atta
03-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Now you know why I only turn dry wood.

John Keeton
03-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Now you know why I only turn dry wood.Frank! You are in AZ - EVERYTHING is dry there!!:D

Reed Gray
03-16-2010, 1:24 PM
I don't have a stripe on my walls and ceiling, it looks more like a freeway. Turners smock matches. Only down side is some woods smell terrible. However, the way wet wood cuts is worth it.

robo hippy

Ray Bell
03-16-2010, 2:07 PM
The one time (so far) I turned green wood I made the mistake of not cleaning the ways before I quit for the day. When I did clean them there were rust,and black spots covering my brand new lathe ways. I felt a little sick to my stomache, but WD40,and Scotch Brite pads cleaned it right up. Wont make that mistake again.

As far as being dry in Arizona, I can attest to that. We are in Chandler for a few days,and it is very dry, and very pleasantly warm. Gotta love Az. in the late winter,early spring.

alex carey
03-16-2010, 3:25 PM
notice the racing stripe behind me. Many of my shirts also have this racing stripe, it seems Bradford Pear stains.

Jon Lanier
03-16-2010, 4:08 PM
What? No fun creatures to talk of.... I love it when I find a tiny creature. I sealed one in one time with some glue... hoping to preserve so it could be seen after it was all done. Didn't work. it just curled up.

Charlie Reals
03-16-2010, 4:14 PM
Jon,
just turned some wet manzanita this morning that was full of ants.Soaked it in dna and watched em run:D:D

Kyle Iwamoto
03-16-2010, 5:49 PM
[QUOTE=Ray Bell;1374601]The one time (so far) I turned green wood I made the mistake of not cleaning the ways before I quit for the day. When I did clean them there were rust,and black spots covering my brand new lathe ways. I felt a little sick to my stomache, but WD40,and Scotch Brite pads cleaned it right up. Wont make that mistake again.QUOTE]

Wax the ways. That will help with the rust a lot.

David E Keller
03-16-2010, 6:23 PM
I love the green stuff... Nothing like thick, wide ribbons coming off a bowl gouge.:D

Roland Martin
03-16-2010, 8:20 PM
There are so many benefits that come with this forum. I've never turned green but have been seriously thinking about giving it a try sometime after the new lathe arrives. I got plenty of info from this post about what to expect. I'll keep my rain gear handy and maybe have wipers installed on the face shield.

Gary Conklin
03-16-2010, 9:35 PM
I use a product from Wynn's on my ways called Viscotene, keeps the rust way far at bay.