PDA

View Full Version : Baby wood gloat...

Fred Perreault
03-16-2010, 9:37 AM
Okay, okay.... it may not be a 1500 pounder, but for my area it is a pretty rare find. It is red oak, and a rather queer looking kind of burl. The burl bark is very smooth, and the red and white oaks here on the Cape rarely have burls. It might be hollow inside for all I know, but I am not sure how I am going to handle it. I was given some small cherry burls this winter that had been indoors for 25 years, and were fabulous to work with. Methinks I don't want to wait quite that long. Does cutting them open and using anchorseal help?
Thanks

Jeff Nicol
03-16-2010, 9:49 AM
Fred, That shape burl should have some wonder grain in it. If you cut off some of the trunk and Anchorseal it it will last a good while. By the shape of it, it looks like a good canidate for coring. But if you plan on making some smaller things out of it cutting it up and sealing them on all surfaces will work.

Have fun,

Jeff

John Keeton
03-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Fred, that thing will be WAY to ugly for your fine work, so while you have it in the truck it would be a good time for a road trip to KY!! We have some beautiful countryside, and there could be a steak dinner in it for you - in exchange, of course, for unloading that monstrosity in front of my shop!:D;) Might even send you back home with some goodies!

Dennis Ford
03-16-2010, 10:43 AM
That is the perfect size burl, the really big ones are very hard to cut up. You may see something different but I see a hollow form inside there. Red oak burls are often very pretty but get really hard when dry.

Baxter Smith
03-16-2010, 10:53 AM
If thats a baby burl, my little cherry burls were obviously 8 1/2 months premature. Looks like a great one!

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Whatever you turn out of it - it is going to be interesting! Looking forward to seeing the finished turning!

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Congrats on the burl Fred. Should give you some nice turnings. Coring that sounds interesting.

Fred Perreault
03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all the tips and offers. The real offer I would be looking for would be for someone to send me a new coring tool for my upcoming b'day.
Unfortunately, I have not a coring setup yet. The way the LOML has been treating me to tools lately, I figure I will wait some more before springing $ that $ one $ on her$$ The burl is about 19" in daimeter, kinda symetrical, and was all two 60+ year olds could (wanted) to handle up into the truck. I am sure it ain't hollow.

David E Keller
03-16-2010, 6:57 PM
I've got a buddy that's a urologist... I'll have him take a look at the pictures. I'm fairly certain he'll know what's inside as it looks like the kind of thing he deals with all day.:p

charlie knighton
03-16-2010, 10:12 PM
great fine....