PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Vase

Allen Schmid
03-16-2010, 8:12 AM
Been away from turning for some time, but have been following all the great work being presented here! Always a treat to see what comes up on the post's.
This is a small walnut vase with walnut oil finish, 4"diam. at the widest and 6" tall. I left a thin wide base as I wasn't sure how well it might stand without one! This is my second "vase", first one to actually survive though as my first attempt ended up being a walnut cup as I had punched through the side with my Sorby swan-neck tool! Critique away, always appreciate peoples input.
Allen

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2010, 9:11 AM
Allen - congrats on getting your first vase finished! Looks pretty good to me! Interesting contemporary design and while I do not normally like a foot on a turning - seems to work well here.

How this did you turn the piece? Just curious as a lot of times folks are surprised when they pick up a piece and it is lighter than expected.

Allen Schmid
03-16-2010, 9:54 AM
Thanks Steve,
Overall I kind of like the look but certainly would make the top collar a little smaller...the thickness is +/-3/16" hard time getting used to the swan neck as their is no real way of guestimating the thickness, but with the tools I have that's the way it goes! I appreciate your encouragement (to all those who post), we have such a great group here. My son Stephan, who is subsidizing his income selling pottery of all types, said that I should flip it up on the end...very artsy then....just another perspective I guess.
Thanks,
Allen

Dennis Ford
03-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Nice vase, I love everything about it except for the foot. Its a keeper!

John Keeton
03-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Allen, the walnut is very nice - beautiful color. The shape is intriguing - kind of grows on one after looking a couple of times. While I sort of agree on no foot, it does seem to do OK here. Nice work, and a good finish!

Baxter Smith
03-16-2010, 11:05 AM
This is my second "vase", first one to actually survive though as my first attempt ended up being a walnut cup as I had punched through the side with my Sorby swan-neck tool!
Allen
Thought I had a great survival rate on my turnings until I tried doing vases. Suddenly that dropped to about 50%. :) Turning blind and freehand does add a certain element of tension!
Not a big fan of modern art but I think this one looks great. Nice lines and pretty wood.

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Interest form but I like it. Gotta love walnut.