PDA

View Full Version : 3 burls and more wood to play with!

Jeff Nicol
03-16-2010, 7:02 AM
Good morning all!

Here is a few picutures of what I brought home and what I have to go work on in the near future. I finally got the burls that were at my cousins place that the loggers brought up to the house. They all are hard maple, with the small one mostly just a scab, but will have something in it. The other pictures are of a variety of woods that will have lots of character in them. The hills are too muddy right now so I need to wait until it dries out a bit to get them out of the valley. I took pictures of about 20 different chunks that were right off the logging roads, with 100's more scattered around the woods. More burls in the mess as well, looks like my buddies 4 wheel drive Kubota will be put to work along with my Polaris ATV! I will post some more pics when I get them cut into blanks.

Pic 1 burls, Pic 2 is 2 butternut trees cut and left to rot, Pic 3 Hard maple crotch, Pic 4 looking up the valley, Pic 5 Hard maple multi limbed crotch 26" across and 7' long!

Jeff

John Keeton
03-16-2010, 7:23 AM
Jeff, that maple burl will be fantastic - can't wait to see it! And, such a shame on the butternut. The piece I bought from you is really nice - can't you save some of this? It doesn't look too decayed yet.

The maple crotch may even give the burl a run for looks - hard to beat a beautiful maple feather!

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2010, 8:07 AM
Wow! Congrats on all the wood Jeff! I can see why your back would be giving you fits!

Looking forward to seeing whats in the burl! Have fun - work safe!

Jeff Nicol
03-16-2010, 9:46 AM
Thanks guys for the input. Steve, the back is an ongoing thing so I hope it will cooperate more than not. We loaded them on my truck with the tractor so that was easy, I used a big pry bar to get them off at home, so that was little harder.

John, I am going to save all the butternut I can, these are just 2 of the trees, there are many more throughout the land.

There is also 1000's of Hop Hornbeam on the ground to be used for something, some are over 8" in diameter. The forester wants them all cut down as the are a nuisance tree. They make great mallets and tool handles so if anyone wants some from 1" dia to 8" dia let me know through a PM.

Jeff

Baxter Smith
03-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Looks like a lot of great wood! No wonder your back can act up on you. Too much temptation there!