PDA

View Full Version : Another for your thoughts......

Peter Luch
03-16-2010, 3:55 AM
Just a glutton for punishment ;)

Norfolk Pine and Koa with a nice shiney finish.

Aloha, Pete

John Keeton
03-16-2010, 5:54 AM
Peter, I like this one, as well, though I would probably like it better were the stem tapered more like the stem of the wine glasses - and, perhaps the base not as thick.

Very nice piece as is, however, and the workmanship is great! And, again, great finish.

Mike Minto
03-16-2010, 9:07 AM
Where ya gettin' all the NIP, ya wino? No, seriously, the two glass/wine holders you've shown us are really great - the concept, the turning, the wood and finish are all enviable - thanks for showing them!

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2010, 9:07 AM
I like the concept - not sure that the pine fits as well as if the entire piece had been turned out of Koa. Still - it's pretty cool!

Frank Van Atta
03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
This one's OK, but I like the first one (bucket?) better. JMO.

Peter Luch
03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Peter, I like this one, as well, though I would probably like it better were the stem tapered more like the stem of the wine glasses - and, perhaps the base not as thick.

Very nice piece as is, however, and the workmanship is great! And, again, great finish.

John,

I was thinking of the stems to match the glasses and it's something I'm gonna try on the next set I make. I did a set of four right now.
Below is one I made for champange glasses with the stem copying the taper of a champange flute.

The bases I went back and forth on being thin or thick. I tried one thin but the stability was not very good with the glasses on it. I guess I could make a thin base but larger diameter, just thought that would look odd being bigger than the top. Of course I could be wrong as my LOML tells me all the time.

Thanks for the input, it will help me refine the style.

Aloha, Pete

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2010, 3:03 PM
Great looking piece Peter but still like the other better.

David E Keller
03-16-2010, 6:43 PM
It looks good to me. I like norfolk pine a lot, and it looks good with the koa.

dean griffith
03-16-2010, 9:12 PM
Pete, Great job and a beautiful finish!!!

James Combs
03-16-2010, 9:36 PM
I am not to keen on the hanger colors but the finish is outstanding. BTW how do you cut the stem ware slots? Do you use an indexer to position or just measure and drill?

Peter Luch
03-17-2010, 12:46 AM
James,

The holes are a pain.
When on the lathe I use a square to get center then turn it 90 deg and do the same. Drill holes and use a custom made cone with sandpaper on it to ream the hole. Still some hand sanding though.

Aloha, Pete

Karl Card
03-17-2010, 12:50 AM
james bring up a really good point. I have 2 indexing lathes and wonder how hard it would be to index those holes. I have not used the index on either lathe yet but you keep showing this kind of stuff and i am gonna have to try it too...lol good work.