PDA

View Full Version : Trying to conserve wood -- can this be done safely?

Porter Bassett
03-16-2010, 2:26 AM
I'm making some scroll-saw baskets (as seen here (http://portersworkshop.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/nesting.jpg)). All of the ones pictured were made from a relatively small amount of wood, because the patterns for the different sized baskets nest into one another, as can be seen here (http://portersworkshop.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/nesting2.jpg). For the amount of wood that it takes to make the largest basket, I get to make one of each of all of the basket sizes. I cut out three of the patterns and glue up the baskets.

The problem is that I want the smaller diameter baskets to be proportionally shorter as well. I can't run it through the planer, because I need the inside pieces to be thinner than the outer pieces. I tried "re-sawing" these thin elliptical shapes on my band saw. Not only was it scary as all get-out, but the wood broke a couple of times as I tried to do this.

If I had a drum sander, it could probably be used for this sort of thing (although it would probably be fairly tedious). Short of that, is there a safe way to do this?

I'm guessing no. I'm thinking that if I want to achieve this effect, I need to cut more levels out of thinner stock, and put more levels into the larger baskets than the smaller ones.

But still, it doesn't hurt to ask. (I hope! ;))

Glen Butler
03-16-2010, 8:43 AM
I assume you cut the largest one first. Resaw it before you cut the next smaller elipse. Then it cant collapse on you.

Lee Schierer
03-16-2010, 8:53 AM
I assume you cut the largest one first. Resaw it before you cut the next smaller elipse. Then it cant collapse on you.

I concur....

Porter Bassett
03-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Actually, it's a lot easier to cut the patterns out if I cut the smallest first -- that way I have a much larger piece of wood to hold onto when scrollsawing.

Robert Reece
03-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Why not use a router with a circle jig and large diameter bit (like 1") to plow out the different heights you need, before cutting anything from the blank. So you would have a rosette looking chunk of wood. As long as you laid out the radii correctly, they would match up with you proposed scroll cuts.

Henry Ambrose
03-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Use double sided tape to attach the part you want to cut onto a holding block then pass that assembly through your bandsaw. Or glue the part to a holding block and cut to size then cut off the part from the block through the glue joint.

Porter Bassett
03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
That is a really interesting idea. :)

Robert Reece
03-17-2010, 10:53 AM
yeah, let us know how it works. I'll be interested in hearing.