PDA

View Full Version : Myrtlewood Burl HF Trio

Mark Hubl
03-16-2010, 1:45 AM
These came from a fairly thin piece of burl. Nice wood to work with. These are on the smallish side. The tall piece is only 4 1/2" tall.

John Keeton
03-16-2010, 6:03 AM
Very nice!! I love that wood, and you sure did some close work on the hollowing. Very impressive photo collage, too.

Mark, what tools did you use for the hollowing? And, what is the diameter of the smaller horizontal piece?

Roland Martin
03-16-2010, 6:36 AM
Very nice wood and it looks like they are very thin. Great job on these Mark.

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2010, 9:15 AM
Very nice work on all the HF Mark! Really like the vase - something about the form is very natural and appealing.

Beautiful wood and finishes! Interesting idea for a photo collage - but I sure would have liked to seen these in a larger format so I could appreciate your work even more.

Thanks for sharing!

Baxter Smith
03-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Very nice. I think I will try a HF with a small leftover piece of cherry burl I have. Haven't figured out the orientation or design yet. I like all of yours!

Mark Hubl
03-16-2010, 5:46 PM
Very nice!! I love that wood, and you sure did some close work on the hollowing. Very impressive photo collage, too.

Mark, what tools did you use for the hollowing? And, what is the diameter of the smaller horizontal piece?

Thanks all.

John, I use a bunch of different things. On these pieces I mainly used a set of Grizzly hollowing tools, Sorby Mini Hollowing Tools (sometimes called the Ornament set) and on the vase a Don Pencil Stinger rig as well.

The small one has a 3" diameter and is 1 1/2" deep. The holes on the to smaller pieces are 5/8". These are about as thin as I have gone without self inflicted voids.:eek:

The finish in Minwax Antique Oil.

Steve, Working on my photo set up. When I get some better pics I will put them in my HF Album.

David E Keller
03-16-2010, 6:25 PM
Great stuff. I like each piece individually, but the group display makes them look even better. I love the deep, rich color on that wood.

Bill Boehme
03-16-2010, 9:42 PM
What type of myrtle is the wood from?

The reason that I ask is that we had to take down a southern waxmyrtle in our yard following the record snowstorm a few weeks ago. Your myrtle wood may not even be related to the southern waxmyrtle. Our waxmyrtle was so badly damaged that there was no way to save it. While they normally do not get very large in diameter, this one was rather large with a stump that was about 14 inches in diameter. Normally, they are grown as a large shrub or a small tree. I did not find any good information about turning southern waxmyrtle on the Internet, so I might be the first to investigate it.

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Really nice looking HF's. Nice form and finish looks good.

Mark Hubl
03-16-2010, 11:42 PM
What type of myrtle is the wood from?

Bill,

I got the burl from one of the guys in our club. I assume it to be Oregon Myrtle (Bay Laurel). A couple of guys bought a large pallet of wood from a west coast supplier. The wood in the lot was all west coast stuff.

alex carey
03-17-2010, 1:50 AM
im really diggin this set, especially the tall vase.