PDA

View Full Version : My First HF

Jon Finch
03-15-2010, 11:52 PM
It was a day of firsts. My first hollow form and the first finished project coming off my new lathe!

Apple, 7"x5"
Turned green and hoping it doesn't split. I don't own any proper hollowing tools although I do have one of those Ci1 easy rougher clones which is what I used. It was impossible to get over into the shoulder of the form without a goose neck shaft so it's kind of thick there and it's pretty thick on the bottom too (I was scared) and well.... it's kind of thick walled everywhere :o.

145232 145233 145234

C/C welcome.

I'm still awed by how quiet the new lathe is...

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Joe - glad to hear the new Jet is working out for you!

That is a real nice thick-walled Apple hollow form! I'll cross my fingers for you and hope it doesn't crack!

Should you decide you want to get into hollow forms - understand ahead of time that the vortex gets real deep - real fast when you start looking at those specialty tools!

Have fun with your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Bill Bolen
03-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Great form on a pretty piece of wood. Gotta agree with Steve, the vortex only gets deeper when you move to hollow forms. But heck, you have a big new jet and you already know that!...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Good looking piece out of some nice looking wood.

Mark Hubl
03-16-2010, 1:40 AM
Great job for your first HF. Looks good.

John Keeton
03-16-2010, 6:08 AM
Looks very nice!! I still have not turned any apple, though I do have some sent to me by Baxter. Waiting for the right time - and, in the meantime, perhaps it will dry out some.

(I was scared) ...I know that feeling - very well!!:eek:

.... it's kind of thick walled everywhere :o...But, hollow nonetheless!!:cool:

Congrats!!