PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut? Burl Enclosed Form

Mark Burge
03-15-2010, 10:46 PM
This is the first product of that burl I and my son found the other day. This is with one coat of walnut oil and just parted off the lathe. I need to reverse it and finish the bottom, but I was pretty excited about the way it turned out. Comments and critiques appreciated.

Oh, I should add. I used Epoxy and lamp black oil paint to fill the cracks. It worked pretty well, but I had to sand quite a bit as the form went out of round after I applied the epoxy.

David E Keller
03-15-2010, 10:49 PM
That's a beautiful bit of wood. Nice work.

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2010, 10:50 PM
That is a great looking piece out of some really pretty wood.

Baxter Smith
03-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Thats a great piece of wood. The filled cracks blend in very well. Very good job!

Matt Ranum
03-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Very very cool.

Gary Conklin
03-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Looks a lot like Cherry burl to me, nice job on turning it!!;)

Mark Burge
03-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Thank's everyone.

Baxter, I should have noted that I added some of the sanding dust to the epoxy/oil mix to make the mixture less shiny and have a little texture.

Gary, as I noted in the thread on finding this burl, it was a beside the road, squeal the brakes, back up, and knock on the door thing. The lady of the house said that it was black walnut, but I questioned it too. It was very sappy and got my tools gummed up when it was roughed out. I'll probably just say its made out of wood burl from now on.

Bill Bolen
03-15-2010, 11:30 PM
That is an outstanding piece of Walnut. You did well by it too...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't care what kind of wood it is - it looks great! Love the variations in grain and color! Nice work Mark!

Gary Conklin
03-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Gary, as I noted in the thread on finding this burl, it was a beside the road, squeal the brakes, back up, and knock on the door thing. The lady of the house said that it was black walnut, but I questioned it too. It was very sappy and got my tools gummed up when it was roughed out. I'll probably just say its made out of wood burl from now on.

Ah, tell me did your hands turn purple? A sure sign of BW. No matter sure does look good!!:D

Nathan Hawkes
03-16-2010, 1:10 AM
Umm, fresh cherry will turn your hands very purple too. I really doubt its walnut, but in any case, nice job. FYI, frequently walnut heartwood is yellowish green when first cut if really wet, and takes a while to turn dark.

Mark Hubl
03-16-2010, 1:39 AM
Nice form and excellent wood. Lot going on. Looks good.

John Keeton
03-16-2010, 6:12 AM
I doubt the walnut, too, but in any event, you did a very nice job on this one, and the wood is spectacular!

Roland Martin
03-16-2010, 6:32 AM
Very interesting color & figure and the form is nice. What a find Mark.

Jeff Nicol
03-16-2010, 7:15 AM
Nice chunk of wood, and very definitely cherry. If it were black walnut the color would be much darker and not reddish like your piece. The lace and eyes in it with the light sapwood is a give away to me. I have about 500 pound of cherry burl so I have good first had knowledge of it.

Still nice and free wood too!

Jeff

Paul Douglass
03-16-2010, 9:28 AM
It is a beautiful piece of wood. If you have a little left you should turn a little something for that lady.

Frank Van Atta
03-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Beautiful burl and a nice piece of turning. There's nothing like that beside the road around here.

John Tomasello jr
03-16-2010, 7:12 PM
I think cherry also great job on a beautiful piece of wood

Toney Robertson
03-16-2010, 7:21 PM
Mark,

Very nice wood and a very pleasing shape.

I will vote for cherry too.

Toney

Mark Burge
03-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. I agree that it is probably cherry now that you've all voted. The redness of the wood is even more evident in person. It did stain my hands somewhat, but it wasn't as permanent as walnut can be. Paul, I have half of the burl left and will make something for the previous owner out of that. I'm keeping this one!

charlie knighton
03-17-2010, 3:00 PM
very nice....