PDA

View Full Version : Dye seeping out of red oak pores...

Michael Donahue
03-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Hey folks. I searched though the forum and couldn't quite find an answer for this. I'm trying to get a color I'm happy with on a red oak TV stand so I've been experimenting with Transtint dye diluted in denatured alcohol. It goes on ok, but after a 10-15 seconds the dye seeps out of the pores and looks awful. Is there a fix for this?

Also, maybe this is a stupid question, but can I dye over a gel stain to get the color darker? I would think that the traditional method would be to dye first but I'm stuck.

Thanks.

Scott Holmes
03-15-2010, 10:58 PM
The dye is seeping out because the wood is sealed; dye is for bare wood, not sealed wood.

Michael Donahue
03-16-2010, 10:53 PM
The dye is seeping out because the wood is sealed; dye is for bare wood, not sealed wood.

It was seeping out of the bare wood on all my early tests. :confused:

I was just throwing out the second option if sealing the wood might prevent the seeping.

glenn bradley
03-16-2010, 10:58 PM
I have had red oak "weep" for days after applying a finish and thinking I had all the excess wiped off. I just keep wiping it off till it quits.

Conrad Fiore
03-17-2010, 2:35 PM
Michael,
How are you applying the dye?

Scott Bellew
03-17-2010, 3:55 PM
Take a look at this http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/pdf/TransTintTDS%206-2009ii.pdf

Scroll down to page three and there is some info that could help you out.