PDA

View Full Version : Something a little different...

David E Keller
03-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Here's something different... Cufflinks.

Stabilized zebrawood and black palm... both endgrain.

All comments welcome... good, bad, or indifferent.

alex carey
03-15-2010, 10:10 PM
noicely done, how'd you like the black palm?

Baxter Smith
03-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Very neat - and different!

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Nice work David! Really like the black palm!

Bill Bolen
03-16-2010, 12:24 AM
I've heard that palm can be a real bear to work with. You cedrtainly did a great job here...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Great job on a cool project.

Mark Hubl
03-16-2010, 1:46 AM
Those are pretty cool. Nice work.

John Keeton
03-16-2010, 6:00 AM
Neat work, David! I can't recall the last shirt I had with French cuffs!:D

Did you use the eccentric setup to do these - same as the pendants?

Roland Martin
03-16-2010, 6:40 AM
I have to say I would never have thought to turn cufflinks. Nice work David.

Steve Vaughan
03-16-2010, 8:21 AM
I'm glad to see this...you've done a really nice job with these. My son's girlfriend does a lot of sewing and she's wanting me to turn some buttons for her. This is great and thanks for sharing!

Jim McFarland
03-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Can't say I'm a cufflink fan, but those look great! Well done.

David E Keller
03-16-2010, 6:37 PM
Thanks to all for the comments.

Bill and Alex... the palm was a piece of stabilized pen blank. When it's stabilized, it's not too bad to work with. Raw palm is a bear to turn; It's very dusty and splinters quite easily.

John... I thought all attorneys were required to wear french cuffs. In fact, I picture you turning in a coat and tie.:D

I actually turned these a little differently than the pendants although I imagine that setup would work fine. I mounted the pen blank in my talon chuck using the small jaws and turned it round. I then used a 5/8" forstner bit to drill a shallow recess in the end of the blank(to a depth of about 1/16"). I sanded that surface then I parted off a piece about 1/4" in length. I mount a dowel in my chuck and reverse the small piece onto the dowel using a small drop of super glue to hold it(recess to dowel end). Then I trued everything up, and finished the surface of the piece. The hardware for these has a 1/2 inch round metal piece that is glued into the recess that I created with the forstner bit.

Steve... buttons would be pretty easy since one surface is unseen when they are sewn into place. You could use pen blanks turned round then finish the end and part off a button. Repeat.

I own one shirt with French cuffs that I never wear... I bought it to go with the tuxedo that I never wear. In other words, I'll probably never wear the cufflinks.:D

Joe Little
03-16-2010, 7:20 PM
Boy, you guys really dress up in Enid, Oklahoma. Nice job.