PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some freeware.

Jim O'Dell
03-15-2010, 9:44 PM
Anyone know of a free download program that will allow me to copy a home made DVD to another DVD? I have Nero 8, but it doesn't seem to want to work. I've tried a couple freeware units, one was not a working copy, just to allow you to see the screens. 51MB to look at.:confused::confused: The next one would not read the discs. I have 2 Pioneer DVD RWs. One only plays at this point. I'd like to copy this so I can take the original back to my parents on Wed. Thanks for any help you can offer. I've never copied discs before. Not sure how to put it on the computer hard drive to store either, but if I can get a copy, I can worry about that later. Jim.

Brian Effinger
03-15-2010, 9:58 PM
Jim, I've used 1 click dvd copy (http://www.lgsoftwareinnovations.com/purchase.asp?productid=1click) with success. It's not exactly freeware, but there is a free trial version.

Rob Wright
03-15-2010, 9:59 PM
Jim - I use this with pretty good scucess... IMGBURN

http://www.imgburn.com/

David G Baker
03-15-2010, 11:42 PM
I use Power2go and have for a year or so for free. I like it so well that I actually purchased a copy.

Neal Clayton
03-16-2010, 1:57 AM
Jim - I use this with pretty good scucess... IMGBURN

http://www.imgburn.com/

imgburn is actually the copying/burning portion of the original software that came out for this years ago (dvddecrypter). second that option, it works fine.

Russell Sansom
03-16-2010, 2:11 AM
If you have a friend with a Mac, it is trivial. Go to help and type in "copying a dvd" and you'll get the quite simple instructions. No external sofware required. Of course, the computer has to have an optical drive that can read and write dvd's.

Cary Falk
03-16-2010, 5:07 AM
Jim,
I have DVDShrink that will work. It was freeware till a lawsuit threat shut them down(it also ripped encryptions). PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy.

edit to add: Recode in Nero should have done the trick.

john brady
03-26-2010, 6:13 PM
Hi Jim,

I delved into that a while back... AND it can get VERY Confusing and FRUSTRATING! There are several issues you have to deal with:

What was the DVD made with? Not all "Home" DVD players will play a home-made DVD (home-made as in if it was made on your computer - may not play on a TV DVD player). If you have a DVD "Recorder" for your TV, that one "might" play it - better chance anyway than a standard DVD player.

2. Nero 8 may have made a perfect copy of the DVD. But the DVD media you used - that is the Actual DVD disc you used, may not have been compatible with the DVD Player OR The DVD Burner you used to copy the DVD onto (as described in #1).

3. Depending on what the DVD was originally made with (a home video recorder?) You may need a specific "CODEC" for the "home-made" DVD to convert it before burning it.

I have a collection of convert & burn progs I use: NERO, Imgburn, DVDShrink, UltraISO, VSO ConvertXtoDVD, Xilisoft Video Converter to name a few ;)

VSO ConvertXtoDVD, and Xilisoft Video Converter are twocompanies that make several DVD converters for multiple DVD formats. But again, you need to know what you have (on the original DVD) before you can get what you need (for the new DVD).

A good starting point would be to use UltraISO first. That little program will just make a single (IMAGE) file of your DVD (in geek speek it's called an "ISO image") to your hard drive (that you can save on your computer --you said you wanted one). Then once you have the ISO image, you can use the same program and burn it to another DVD.

I'll bet if the DVD player WILL play the home-made DVD's, using the UltraISO method described above will give you what you need.

Home this helps...John

Jim O'Dell
03-26-2010, 10:30 PM
John, it probably would help, but it's Greek speak to me.:D The DVD I'm trying to copy looks to be made at home on a computer. It plays on the computer as well as a DVD/CD player for the TV. I tried to contact the guy that made them, but he never contacted me back. I was willing to buy two copies, one for us, and one for my wife's dad. This is a DVD about our home town, and has a section on the Kiwanis club miniature train that both our dads helped build when we were probably 3 or 4 years old. (It's still running today!!) There is an interview with my Dad on how they built it. Pretty cool information for a son to keep!
I'll try some of the programs listed above. I worked on it right after starting this thread with a couple of the ideas, but haven't been able to devote any time back to it since.
Thanks for the ideas! I need something so simple that even a caveman can do!!:D:D:D Jim.

Bob Vavricka
03-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Jim,
I'm in that Kiwanis Club and know the person who put the DVD together. I'll see if I can get you a couple if you can't get it copied.
Bob V.

Bryan Morgan
03-27-2010, 1:11 AM
Jim,
I have DVDShrink that will work. It was freeware till a lawsuit threat shut them down(it also ripped encryptions). PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy.

edit to add: Recode in Nero should have done the trick.

I use DVDShrink as well. Just google it and it will be on the first page of results. Works great!

paul cottingham
03-27-2010, 2:07 AM
cdburnerxp is pretty good. http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download

john brady
03-28-2010, 1:03 PM
Hi Jim,

Based on what you've said, I'm pretty sure going the "ISO" route will be your best and easiest way to go.

Download UltraISO here: http://download.cnet.com/UltraISO-Premium/3000-2646_4-10177302.html. It's free to try (as far as I know there's no time limit on it).

After downloaded and installed (I assume you know how to do all that), follow the steps (note - the program you've downloaded is version 9.xx, mine is v8.6, but the instructions should be exactly the same):

1. Open the UltraISO program.
2. Insert the DVD into your DVD drive (if it starts to play, just close it out - you don't want it playing).
3. In the UltraISO program, click the "Tools" tab, then select "Make CD/DVD Image". Another small window will open.
4. In the new window that opens, make sure to select a) the DVD drive the DVD is in (if theirs more than on CD/DVD drive); b) where you want to save the (ISO image) file to on your hard drive (or you can just put it on your desktop) where it says "Output file/name".
5. Click the "Make" button at the bottom.
6. Wait for it to complete.

THAT'S IT - You made an Image of the DVD!

After the ISO image is made, you can use NERO to burn it to another DVD , but I've had problems doing it with Nero, I found that just using UltraISO again was much easier and headache free. (FYI - if you didn't know - "burn" is geek speek for putting the data on a CD/DVD).

To burn the ISO image onto a DVD using UltraISO:

1. With the program open, click the TOOL'S tab again, and select "Burn CD/DVD Image...". A new (smaller) window will open.
2. Down toward the bottom, look for the line/box that says "Image File". Click the box to the far right of it that has the three dots (...). You want to direct that to the location (your Desktop?) where you saved the image file to previously.
3. Make sure you have your DVD burner selected in the "Recorder" box. If it isn't click the up arrow to go to and select the correct DVD burner(recording) drive.
4. Make sure the box next to "DVD disc" to the right of the "Recorder" box is checked.
5. Click the "BURN" button at the bottom, and wait for it to complete.

THAT'S IT!

I know it seems kind of intimidating, but the least damage you'll do is make (another) coaster (geek speek for unuseable CD/DVD). If you want to give it a try and want some additional "visuals", I can take some snapshots of the actual UltraISO program windows and give you a link to them to use until you're finished. Just let me know, I'll re-post after there ready for you.

Hope this helps...JEB

Jim O'Dell
03-28-2010, 3:18 PM
Well, I picked my Mom up yesterday morning. Took her to a friend's house to visit while I went to a track meet at my old high school. Last year they started a track meet in my HS coach's honor, and named each race after a former great in that race. No, I don't have a race named after me as there were several others who were much better than I at the distances I ran.
Sorry, sidetracked...Mom said just to keep their copy. They had seen it and shown it to everyone they were interested in showing it to, and had no other need to see it again.
Thanks for the help. And thanks Bob for the offer. If you can find out about one, I'd love to get it for my wife's Dad as he helped build the train also. By the way, my FIL is James Treas in case you ever run into him. Jim.