PDA

View Full Version : Best Lumberyard (Quality/Price) to buy Wood in the US

Harlan Theaker
03-15-2010, 9:30 PM
I live up in Alberta and have been thinking about ordering a larger quantity of wood for personal use. Our prices locally are quite a bit higher than I see elsewhere so I've been thinking about purchasing 1500 or so bd ft of mixed (walnut, cherry, maple) from the States. I have a friend who manages a trucking company that delivers throughout almost the entire US that can give me a pretty good price for freight.

With that being said, I have no idea where to even start looking. Please recommend places you know of that sell quality lumber at great prices.

I'd prefer Northern/Eastern US (as will be cheaper the closer it is) but will look almost anywhere.

I plan to use any responses as a place to start and plan to research prices, etc... Just looking for a place to start

Jim Becker
03-15-2010, 10:09 PM
My favorite "candy store" is Hearne Hardwoods (http://www.hearnehardwoods.com).

Stephen Saar
03-15-2010, 10:38 PM
I've purchased from Advantage lumber (http://www.advantagelumber.com/) when they had a special on some Tiger wood and Ipe, and I was very happy with the service. Shipping was expensive, but whenever you have freight shipping it's always expensive. I also go to Peach State Lumber (http://www.peachstatelumber.com/home.html) since they are local to Atlanta, GA. I've always been very happy with how they've treated me there.

Obviously no matter where you go you'll want to place your order by phone since I'm sure they'll cut you a good deal if you're buying that much.

-Stephen

John Pohja
03-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Have done quite a bit of business with westpennhardwoods.com in upstate New York. Good prices and excellent customer service. John

Glen Butler
03-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Not a hardwoods dealer, but my local lumber yard has delivered to canada before. I guess it was cheaper to buy the lumber package from the states and ship it hundreds and hundreds of miles than to buy it locally. I doubt it would be worth getting pricing from them. National Hardwoods might be an option. Macbeath has had pretty good prices in the past also. Good luck in your quest.

Dirk Lewis
03-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Harlen,
not sure if you chimed in on the CWW thread for Birch from back east or not?

Regardless, given the interest in that thread there looks like a number of guys in Alberta that would likely get on board (pun intended?) for a wood order and might allow a larger number of board feet to be purchased at the next volume price cut?

If you do decide to go this route throw up a shout on CWW forum, it might just make it worthwhile.

Harlan Theaker
03-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Harlen,
not sure if you chimed in on the CWW thread for Birch from back east or not?

Regardless, given the interest in that thread there looks like a number of guys in Alberta that would likely get on board (pun intended?) for a wood order and might allow a larger number of board feet to be purchased at the next volume price cut?

If you do decide to go this route throw up a shout on CWW forum, it might just make it worthwhile.

Haha, I'm project240 on CWW so definitely interested (1000 bd ft 8/4 birch @ 1.75 compared to $6.35 locally). I've bought from another guy in Ontario before as well... just looking for the best price on a bulk order as local prices are quite high.

Dirk Lewis
03-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Haha, I'm project240 on CWW so definitely interested (1000 bd ft 8/4 birch @ 1.75 compared to $6.35 locally). I've bought from another guy in Ontario before as well... just looking for the best price on a bulk order as local prices are quite high.

Thought that was you, I've bought from Brian as well.
I hear you on local prices, ridiculous. Like I said, there's enough interest around that a bulk order would be no problem to divvy up from Lethbridge to Dreadmonton. Cowtown makes for a good drop point.

John P Clark
03-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Carolina Lumber Sourcing - in Simpsonville, SC - I have bought bulk Cherry and other hardwoods from Bill and have been very pleased with the wood that I have obtained. Has a web site - carolinalumbersourcing.com - has treated me very well

mike Dix
03-16-2010, 8:59 AM
http://www.lakeshorehardwoods.com/

this is a great place for Wood ! Brian the owner will help you get what you want at great prices !This is in upstate NY (Pulaski )

Wade Lippman
03-16-2010, 9:09 AM
http://www.lakeshorehardwoods.com/

this is a great place for Wood ! Brian the owner will help you get what you want at great prices !This is in upstate NY (Pulaski )

I have shopped at Lake Shore and West Penn in person; and can recommend them for that. WP is good on exotics and LS on cherry and curly maple.

If I was going to mail order I would try Dansville Lumber http://www.dansvilledimension.com/lumber.html
Wood is cheap and all perfect; it is bit of a drive for me so I have only shopped there once.
There isn't much in Rochester, but we do have some good wood suppliers (though I get nearly all my wood at auctions...)

Robert LaPlaca
03-16-2010, 5:48 PM
Kind of depends..Two that come to mind immediately are Hearne Hardwoods and Groff and Groff, both in Lancaster County Pa. Also depending on how much quality you want to purchase, Irion Lumber in Wellsboro Pa..

Robert Chapman
03-16-2010, 8:42 PM
Check www.bellforestproducts.com (http://www.bellforestproducts.com) They have a great selection of figured hardwoods [they specialize in birdseye and curly maple] and a lot of exotic species. They do a world wide business but are a really down to earth Upper Peninsula of Michigan company. I use them for all my furniture wood purchases and have never been disappointed. Ask for Boone or Eric and tell them Bob Chapman sent you.

Rob Fisher
03-16-2010, 10:46 PM
I'll second Groff and Groff Lumber. I have never shipped from them as I am only 30 mins away, but their selection is great.

Rob

Brett Nelson
03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Took a couple minutes to link to some of the sites posted here. Our local supplier has better prices on everything I looked at.

$/board foot

Poplar - 1.50
Soft Maple- 1.75
Alder - 1.90
Cherry - 4.00
Hard Maple - 2.90

These prices are all select & btr typically 10' lengths, 6-10" widths. Obviously knotty grades are much cheaper.

Harlan Theaker
03-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Took a couple minutes to link to some of the sites posted here. Our local supplier has better prices on everything I looked at.

$/board foot

Poplar - 1.50
Soft Maple- 1.75
Alder - 1.90
Cherry - 4.00
Hard Maple - 2.90

These prices are all select & btr typically 10' lengths, 6-10" widths. Obviously knotty grades are much cheaper.

Where is this? I've gone through all of the links and truthfully I was expecting lower prices than what I've seen. I've been considering ordering from Ontario as well... I got a price list from a few places ...

8/4 Hard Maple Sel & Better $2.20 (over 250bdft)
8/4 Cherry $4.45
8/4 Walnut $5.73

This is all from the same lumberyard in Ontario, all Sel&Better lumber. These prices are better than everything I've seen from the links posted so far...

Brett Nelson
03-17-2010, 1:10 AM
Where is this? I've gone through all of the links and truthfully I was expecting lower prices than what I've seen. I've been considering ordering from Ontario as well... I got a price list from a few places ...

8/4 Hard Maple Sel & Better $2.20 (over 250bdft)
8/4 Cherry $4.45
8/4 Walnut $5.73

This is all from the same lumberyard in Ontario, all Sel&Better lumber. These prices are better than everything I've seen from the links posted so far...

utah. with shipping sounds like your local is better

Bill Leonard
03-17-2010, 6:55 AM
Try Kerber Farms Lumber in Guilford, VT. Clint Kerber (802)451-6920.
No affiliation, but a very happy customer.
I purchased 800 bd ft of curly maple, rough cut, kiln dried and delivered to Beaufort, SC for less than half of local price.

Harlan Theaker
03-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Based on what I've heard and read through the links, it looks like I'm definitely better off staying in Canada and ordering from Ontario.