PDA

View Full Version : New vs Used

John M Wilson
03-15-2010, 9:00 PM
I'm a newbie woodworker stocking the shop. I've got the TS, router, Miter saw, air nailer, etc. but I've got a long way to go, & I'm not sure of the right path. As I go thru researching each tool, I've begun to question whether, for certain things, it is better to buy new, or scour ebay & CL looking for used. This is where I could use the voice(s) of experience... are there things which you would never buy used (router bits?) or things which you would always buy used (clamps)? Any advice is much appreciated!

Darnell Hagen
03-15-2010, 9:06 PM
I buy used machinery and hand tools, but not hand held power tools. I feel they're kind of disposable, often abused, and mostly unrepairable.

Steve Kohn
03-15-2010, 9:28 PM
I try to buy all my stationary tools as used from Craigslist and Ebay. I buy locally on CL and Ebay so I can look at/run the machine when I pick it up. If I cannot find the stationary tool via CL or Ebay I will buy new, and usually from Grizzly.

All my hand held power tools are usually bought as "reconditioned" from a reputable online dealer. And here I buy well known brands like Milwaukee and Makita.

Myk Rian
03-15-2010, 9:35 PM
I started my shop with a new table saw, drill press, spindle sander, routers and planer. Only because I had the cash in my pocket, and prices were good at the time.
Most everything else, band saws, jointers, etc. were CL or garage sale buys.

Glen Butler
03-15-2010, 10:50 PM
I have a few used tools. But I was very cautious and took all my measuring devices to check for alignment problems or abuse. Sometimes I feel like buying used isn't worth the headache but you can save a lot of money. I feel like most people ask way to much for small power tools, because they are so disposable, I typically don't bother with them, just the big stuff.

Karl Brogger
03-15-2010, 10:53 PM
I buy used machinery and hand tools, but not hand held power tools. I feel they're kind of disposable, often abused, and mostly unrepairable.

With some rare exceptions I totally agree with this on the powertool front.

When I started my shop I bought a new tablesaw, jointer, dust collector, and a planer. Since then everything else has been used. The last few years the used market has been just flooded, and the prices have certainly reflected that. Right now I think it has level off, or recovered, but if I were a betting man I'd say the prices were going to head south again.

Bill ThompsonNM
03-16-2010, 12:09 AM
I've purchased an equal number of used and new large machines (new: delta contractors saw, inca bandsaw, jet jointer. used delta shaper, RAS, unisaw
and I've learned that you just trade time for money. Used machines will save money, but cost more time and vice versa. Think carefully about which you have and buy accordingly

Joe Shinall
03-16-2010, 1:12 AM
I put my first chunk of change down on a new Unisaw. Everything else like jointer, planer, drill press are used. New bandsaw just because I couldn't find a used one in the size and price range I wanted. But you may want to check out CPO outlets online for refurbished stuff. Me, as well as many others on here, have had a lot of luck with refurbs.

You basically get something brand new because it has to pass the same inspection as a used unit. I know first hand, use to refurbish game systems at a shop I use to work at and federal regulations on refurbs state that any business selling manufacturer reconditioned tools must pass every point of inspection that a new tool of the same model does.

Go used when you can, not only do you get your stuff cheaper but you can help out a person in need of getting rid of it.

Jim Terrill
03-16-2010, 1:35 AM
I started my shop using craigslist, got a contractor saw and a jointer as well as a plate joiner there from one seller, then picked up a lathe and oscillating spindle sander from another seller. I paid full price for a Ridgid planer because it has a lifetime warranty and there weren't many planers coming up on the local cl. Dust collectors to me are a 50/50 thing, condition is important, I went to look at a used one and it made a weird noise, turns out the guy had sucked up a wrench and put a serious ding in the impeller blade. I got the jointer cheap, which was a good thing since it took me many hours of work to get the old knives out and replace them and the belts have had to be replaced on everything I have bought, so keep that in mind when figuring out value, time costs something too.

What I do to find tools is use rss feeds on certain craigslist search terms of things like "woodworking", "planer", etc.

To me, the new vs used depends on what the new tool gets you, for example the lifetime warranty on ridgid tools is worth more to me than the $100 I could have saved by buying a barely used planer without the warranty and how long you are willing to wait. You also need to have a price in mind and be ready to jump. If you think about something and wait, it may be gone before you get to look at it. The other thing I have learned on craigslist buys is to bring extra $$, people inevitable have some extra stuff they would be more than happy to clear out at the same time. I got the plate jointer (brand new dewalt) for $60 when buying the table saw because he had it sitting there and wanted to get rid of it and I got the chisel set for my midi lathe for $40, it wasn't listed but as long as they sold the lathe, they had no use for them. Ebay is fine if you are looking for local items, but pretty much anything for WWing seems to weigh a lot and the shipping usually kills the deal.

Fine to buy used: Tools, clamps

Depending on condition: dust collectors

I'd avoid buying used: router bits, drill bits

And as always, avoid the tweakers, like the guy selling a circular saw without a case that he got from a buddy and is looking to get some money quickly

Chip Lindley
03-16-2010, 1:46 AM
Used tools often take a little TLC to get them back in shape! IF you have more time than money, have some mechanical savvy, and enjoy tinkering with tools, it's a win/win situation. You are doing what you enjoy doing, and can obtain a good quality machine or tool for a fraction of New!

If you have limited inclination to clean up or rehab a machine or tool, by all means buy New! Our economy will love you for it! Spend your bucks and enjoy the warranty and the brag factor!

Silly me, I have quite a reverence for decent old machinery! Keeping it alive for another generation or two means something. Other's never look at it that way, and pass over the relics for something they deem more befitting of the 21st Century.

Obtaining a really decent bargain on quality machinery or tools gives me a RUSH! No way can I afford NEW anything! I bought a new TS and RAS from Sears in the 70s, believing they were good! Use proved me (and them) wrong. I found older cast iron was better! Time spent searching for *IT* is well rewarded!

My shop is full of old (and not so old) machines bought at a fraction of NEW! Before there was any eBay or CL, I went to public auctions just within mid-Missouri to bring home great bargains during the years of Reaganomics (80s) I saw early-on that 3-phase machinery was dirt cheap and would not underestimate it's usefulness! An Arco 5hp rotary phase converter was among my bargains to run all the stuff!

Up through the 90s I found all my used machinery between KC and St.L within a 2 hour drive of home (mid-Missouri) The crown jewel gloat then was a Powermatic #26 5hp Shaper at auction for $125!! Recently my big gloat has to be a Woodmaster 38" 7.5hp double drum sander for $1200!! I'm still amazed!

Bargains are out there! Ask yourself if you wish to become that involved. It's much more than just woodworking!

david brum
03-16-2010, 2:10 AM
I have had really good experiences buying used on CL, whereas I have had a lot of frustration buying new. A new 17" bandsaw that I bought last year was destroyed in shipping. I had to make a bunch of phone calls, re-crate the thing, and haul it back up to the curb to get it removed.

I also bought a new cabinet saw a few years ago. The miter slots weren't machined properly, so I had to take the top table back off and send it back to get a new one.

Then there's the issue of wiping off the packing grease, disposing of the packaging, aligning everything and perhaps re-machining a few minor parts to work properly. Let's not even talk about arranging your schedule so you can be at home when the truck driver is available.

When you buy used, somebody else has already done that. You just drive to their house, negotiate the deal and load it into your truck. As long as you're OK with some scratches and a little surface rust, you can usually get nearly new machines for half price or less (at least that's my experience). The last thing I bought was a shaper. The guy's house was literally on my way home and he let it go for a song because he was cleaning his shop.

Cary Falk
03-16-2010, 5:00 AM
I have a few used machines but most of them are new. Most of the new machines were purchased prior to me knowing about Craig's list. If you don't know enough about the machine you are looking at used, you can get stung. I thought I knew enough about my Unisaw when I bought it but there were a couple "gotcha" in there. I really hate hearing people say you are stupid to buy new. The truth is unless you are in a target rich environment, lucky, cruising CL every 5 seconds, or willing to drive 300 miles you are going to have a hard time finding something. I haved been looking for 3 pieces of equipemnt on CL for over a year now without any luck. I will probably end up buying Grizzly when the time comes. So long story short, Used is great but you are not stupid for buying new.

Steve Kohn
03-16-2010, 12:46 PM
I haved been looking for 3 pieces of equipemnt on CL for over a year now without any luck. I will probably end up buying Grizzly when the time comes. So long story short, Used is great but you are not stupid for buying new.

Exactly my sentiments. I have a job where I am on a computer almost constantly. I can easily flip to CL and check a couple of times a day. My friends tell me what they are looking for and I add that to my searches. If I get a hit I call them and they check it out.

That's the way a friend of mine got a Delta metal/wood cutting bandsaw for $50. He put another $150 in parts and ended up with a fantastic machine (I wish I had this one myself). Another friend picked up a cyclone DC unit for less than half price (another one I would like to have myself).

So now I am looking for a couple of bandsaws, a lathe, more old style bessey clamps, a 20 inch planer, a variable speed drillpress, etc. However, if after a period of time I cannot find what I want on CL or Ebay, I have no guilt about ordering new.

Eric DeSilva
03-16-2010, 1:45 PM
I've learned that you just trade time for money. Used machines will save money, but cost more time and vice versa.

I'm not sure I agree...

For reference, the used equipment I've bought has included a 14" PM BS, a Platinum Edn. Unisaw, a Delta 18/36 open frame sander, a G0500 8" Grizz jointer, a 2HP Grizz power feeder, a 3HP Jet shaper, and a Bridgeport stationary mortiser. Of those, all but the Unisaw and jointer were in basically new condition. The new equipment I've bought has included a Steel City DP, a Laguna BS, and a JDS cyclone.

Frankly, I'm not sure there is a whole lot of difference in time invested between the used and new gear I have. Even with new gear, you have assembly and alignment time. I had to do a little cast iron clean up on the jointer, but heck, I have to clean off that lube goo when I buy new cast iron...

Jeff Duncan
03-16-2010, 1:58 PM
I've bought both used and new from as small as a used Porter Cable biscuit jointer to my 43" Timesaver. I have to say I can get much better quality used than I could ever afford new. Some of the new stuff I bought I had a hard time making pay for itself, and some never did.

Now here is where it gets tricky, if your buying used small equipment are you ahead of the game? This is tough, as some have said there's a bit of risk involved and the entry price for the small equipment is pretty low to begin with. For example if you can buy a new jointer for let's say $1000 or a used one for $500 your saving $500. If it needs bearings, belts, repairs you could quickly eat up any savings. If it's plug and play then you just saved enough to buy additional tools.
Now when I bought my used jointer I paid $2500 from a dealer. It saved me about at least $4k and it was almost plug and play. Was it worth it, of course. On the other hand I bought a Powermatic Line Boring machine brand new for around $4500 which I'm now selling for less than half what I paid. Was it worth it....no not really. I could have bought a used machine gotten the same life out of it and spent a lot less.
For me it's a tool by tool thing, but generally speaking for stationary equipment I'm going to go used almost every time. Simply b/c I can get a better quality used tool than I can afford new.

good luck,
JeffD

Gary Herrmann
03-16-2010, 2:33 PM
With used tools, sometimes you can wind up affording something that would have been completely out of the question if had bought it new.

I've got a mixture of new, used and refurb.