PDA

View Full Version : sandpaper

patrick michael stein
03-15-2010, 8:23 PM
hello all.

I was wondering what type of sandpaper you folks use. I have bought a few from norton it just seems there has to be something better.

thanks patrick

John Keeton
03-15-2010, 8:47 PM
Patrick, as I recall there was a thread on SMC (not sure it was in the Turners forum) on sandpaper sources. For sheet goods, I used onlineindustrialsupply.com and it is a popular source - good product and prices. I use it on flatwork, and also on turnings. I also use it on my scary sharp board up to 2000 grit.

For power sanding, I use Vinces (http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/Blue_Flex_Discs.htm) and it to is a popular source. Hopefully, others will chime in.

patrick michael stein
03-15-2010, 8:52 PM
thanks john,

I must say you do some beatiful work sir,how long have you been turning?

Willard Foster
03-15-2010, 9:06 PM
I've been happy with sandpaper from Klingspor. They offer a bargain box of odds and ends. I thought it was a bargain.

Bill

patrick michael stein
03-15-2010, 9:16 PM
thanks willard,

patrick

Thomas Canfield
03-15-2010, 9:22 PM
Patrick,

Norton makes several grades of sandpaper. I use the Norton 3X and find that I do not need to do much power sanding if any. I tear the full sheets into 6 parts and then fold those to 1/3 exposed grit for sanding. I sometimes use a piece of mouse pad as a backer but the sandpaper is flexible enough to get into fairly small diameter. I use 80, 120, 180, 220, 320, & 400 grit.

patrick michael stein
03-15-2010, 9:41 PM
hi thomas,

I tend to do the same it just seems like the 80 thru 120 grit loses its particals faster. some one had mentioned a brand called eagle or something like that.

thanks patrick

Paul Douglass
03-15-2010, 10:27 PM
My favorite:
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/C6ADE18B/mac/qryitems.mac/itemDisplay?qryType=STYLE&itemSt=SR001X10G

Dick Mahany
03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
I recently received my first kits for 2" and 3" power sanding disks from Vince's Wood n wonders and am very happy with the performance. I've also had great service from Klingspor and their products have been excllent !!

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I like the gold wavy disc from CSUSA with a soft pad. I found earlier that to much pressure while sanding will cause paper to loose the particles. For hand sanding I use Norton paper from the big orange borg.

Vince Welch
03-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi Patrick,
I have number types of abrasives and sizes to choose from. In addition I just got in the best CA glue and accelerator available. Anyone is free to contact me to sample the abrasives www.VincesWoodNWonders.com (http://www.VincesWoodNWonders.com) WoodNWonders@excite.com or 1-877-284-8969.

Thanks, Vince

Chris Stolicky
03-16-2010, 9:55 AM
Similar to my adventures in sharpening, I have tried and collected many sanding things over the past couple of years.

I started with pen turning. When sanding wood, I have used Norton 3x quite extensively. I buy the sheets and just spend a little time cutting them up in roughly 1" x 4.5" strips. I just stack them up and them grab them as I sand blanks. My experience has primarily been with 220 grit and higher. For non-wood, its plastic polishing/micro mesh/wet sanding.

I have discovered that Abranet works really well. It lasts a long time and does not clog like typical paper. For sanding other than pens, I typically grab this.

I ordered a bunch of discs from Vince (blue) but have not used them much yet. ....been on a pen-making voyage recently.

patrick michael stein
03-16-2010, 4:37 PM
thanks guys

patrick