PDA

View Full Version : Question about use of logo

Matt Ranum
03-15-2010, 7:27 PM
I am giving some pens and most likely boxes as a gift to some people that work at a university. If I make a decal of the logo along with the persons name and put it on either the pen or box is that copyright infringement?

Bill Wilcox
03-15-2010, 7:39 PM
If they are gifts then I would think no problem. If you were going to use the logo and then ask for money, then I would think yes.

David E Keller
03-15-2010, 8:48 PM
Matt, check out my response on the IAP thread.

Dick Sowa
03-15-2010, 8:56 PM
My sister ran into some really stringent issues when she wanted to sell stuff with college logos. Apparently NCAA is really strict about it, and they want to approve everything with a logo on it, and will take a cut on any sales. But as Bill said, for gifts, it's should be a non-issue.

Bob Bergstrom
03-15-2010, 9:14 PM
My daughter drew up a portrait of of a husky for her college soccer team. They couldn't use it because it was not the official logo. They do have some strict rules. Universities are pretty fussy about their emblems and logos.

Steve Mawson
03-15-2010, 9:22 PM
I went through this last fall. Basically if you sell something with a NCAA logo then that school and the NCAA will want a fee. However if it is a gift then no problem because they can not charge a percentage of zero. That is the way it is in Nebraska anyway. Could be different in other parts of the country.

Tom Hammond
03-15-2010, 10:02 PM
I am giving some pens and most likely boxes as a gift to some people that work at a university. If I make a decal of the logo along with the persons name and put it on either the pen or box is that copyright infringement?

Probably 'trademark' infringement. And, don't believe they won't come after you with a 'cease and desist' letter / court order just because you're giving the stuff away for free. Happened to a friend of mine a few years ago when he made some home items for various friends with a certain prominent Big Ten school's logo on them. They didn't seem to have any 'sense of humor' about it at all.

Matt Ranum
03-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks David.

Yeah see I was thinking its sort of a gray area. Make them to sell would be a no no, as a gift, maybe. Guess I'll have to ask them.

alex carey
03-15-2010, 11:01 PM
i can't imagine it'll be a big deal if its just for a few friends, its not like your making hundreds of them.

Paul Gallian
03-16-2010, 12:20 AM
adding a little to the confusion:

Purchase golf ball markers with college logos and use them inset into the top of wine bottle stoppers. you paid for the logo and then resale in the stopper.

any guesses --will they want double fees?