PDA

View Full Version : mildew suppression on blanks and rough outs

Sean Hughto
03-15-2010, 6:26 PM
Anyone have any good tricks for keeping the mildew from forming under the anchorseal? I could imagine a wipe down of alcohol might work or maybe a spritz of x-14 or something? I haven't tried either, but have had green stuff get sort of pungent, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance!

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2010, 6:35 PM
Isopropyl alcohol kills the mold on contact but if it is under the anchorseal you are going to have a hard time getting to it. If you can stand the sight & smell - you just might be rewarded with a piece of spalted wood in a few weeks.

Sean Hughto
03-15-2010, 6:41 PM
Thanks, Steve. Just to be clear, I meant for next time. I figure the ones already sealed are what they are.

Have you seen stuff spalt under anchorseal?

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2010, 6:47 PM
Sean - everything I have spalted had anchorseal on the endgrain. The anchorseal traps the moisture in and slows the drying time down. As long as the wood was exposed to some form of fungi - it will spalt.

Baxter Smith
03-15-2010, 7:37 PM
Good luck! I can't believe I just posted the same question. It must be going around!

Christopher Zona
03-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Putting aside all discussion about speeding up drying time, a soak in methyl hydrate may also help to stabilize the moisture content before applying the anchor seal.