PDA

View Full Version : circular reasoning or the plane truth?

Bruce Seidner
03-15-2010, 6:02 PM
I have some boat building in the works and have been looking at circular, compass, Stanley #113, Stanley #20 planes thinking that these would suit the lines of a kayak with more apparent aplomb than a flat plane.

I have never held or used one so this is all theoretical for me. I was hoping for some practical feedback from individuals who use them regularly.

Also, are the 100 year old Stanley planes being sold meant to be work a day planes or are they collector items? I imagine it would of course depend on the shape it is in. But, not being a collector, why would one buy an antique #113 when for the same money a new #113 inspired plane could be had?

Thanking all in advance.

Jonathan McCullough
03-15-2010, 6:44 PM
I'd tend to agree, but does a kayak not have complex, i.e., elliptical curves, rather than simple circular curves? If so, you would be theoretically be continually adjusting the sole. Seems like a a spokeshave drawn to a pattern might be better suited.

Come to think of it, I've actually seen how they did that. Google "The Pirogue Maker" and "folk" or "folkways." There's a very interesting video of a team of Acadians making a dugout Pirogue from tree to finished one-man boat. If memory serves, they used axes to fell it, giant two-man crosscut saws to chop it to length and cut sections out of the giant log, rip saws and wedges to split it. For the work you're looking to do, I remember seeing either a #5 or #6 flat plane on the more gradual curves, and for the bow, either spokeshaves or drawknives? They hollowed it out with adzes. Really amazing stuff, really fascinating. But no compass planes.

Bruce Seidner
03-15-2010, 6:55 PM
The attraction of the #113 and #20 is the control of the blade depth. I can do a lot of damage with a draw knife, taking material down. I don't know about finishing.

Jim Koepke
03-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Bruce,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile does not list your location. Any chance you are in southern Washington?

Here is a post with me using the Stanley #113.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1230575#poststop

If you use the search button above and search on compass plane or circle plane, you will find a few discussions of them here.

There was also a table made using the #113 at:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=125340

The plane is a little tricky to use, but once you get the feel for it, it isn't too bad.

jim

Jim Koepke
03-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Just thought of another plane that may be helpful in boat making. Not sure what it is called, may be a radius plane. It has a fixed sole that is curved from side to side and also front to back. Mostly they look like what is known as a coffin plane with a wooden body.

jim

David Gendron
03-16-2010, 12:21 AM
You should post on the boat thread, and mabe a guy like Bob Smalser would chime in! He seems to know a few things on boat building!

Dave Matson
03-16-2010, 2:31 AM
Is this a strip built kayak?

A large spoke shave like the lee valley model might be more useful for smoothing compound curves:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=62800&cat=1,50230

I have a stanley 20. It excels at smoothing constant radius or near constant radius curves like this elm footboard, but is more ornery with elliptical curves. I opted for the 20 over the 113 due to its ease of adjustment.

James Taglienti
03-16-2010, 6:37 PM
Both the 113 and the 20 are usable planes. They were designed to be used! I own neither - I have heard that the #20 is a slightly better user as the adjustment feature results is slightly better.