PDA

View Full Version : I Know that tool handles can be boring...

Bob Borzelleri
03-15-2010, 5:29 PM
but I had mounted 2 Thompson 3/8" tools in a couple of Hannestools handles and they ended up looking like those things people use to pick up candy wrappers and cigarette butts in the park. In addition, the large handles seemed to over leverage the cutting edge. Very slight movements at the handle made for more movement on the wood than I wanted. The Hannestool handles are going to to wait on the sidelines until I place an order with Doug for a couple of larger tools.

The handles I turned for the 3/8" tools (detail gouge and Jimmy Clewes bowl gouge) are from a branch I picked up out back last night (on the right) and a couple of pieces of poplar that I glued together. They are about 12" long and feel much better at that length.

Bill Bolen
03-15-2010, 5:38 PM
Bob those handles are far from boring! If they are too long for the smaller tools pick up another branch and make a shorter set. Handles are a very personal thing and what may be too long for one person might be just right for another. For me I reserve the longer thicker handles for a much larger chisel. I seem to have better control with a smaller and shorter handle on those small gouges...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2010, 6:24 PM
Bob - they look great! Of all the things I have turned - a tool handle isn't one of them! One of these days I'll have to give it a try! Nice work!

John Keeton
03-15-2010, 6:32 PM
They look good to me. When I made the handles for my Thompsons, I used the length recommendations from various sources, and I find that I never touch the far 4-5" of the tool handle. I think mine are 16-17", so I think you have them about right!

Baxter Smith
03-15-2010, 7:40 PM
Very nice looking handles!

Curt Fuller
03-15-2010, 7:52 PM
Very nice looking handles! The AAW just had a contest on turning tool handles, so they must not be too boring.
You can also turn the brass nuts you've used for ferrules. The brass cuts a little (lot) slower than wood but you can use the same tools to shape it. And a little sanding followed by some white diamond buffing compound and they shine up really nice.

David E Keller
03-15-2010, 8:41 PM
I love turning tool handles... I find it very satisfying to use something I've turned when turning something else.

Mike Minto
03-15-2010, 8:47 PM
tool handles ARE NOT boring - shopmade tools & accessories are the coolest!

Dick Mahany
03-15-2010, 9:51 PM
I have spent more time making machine / tool modifications and turning tool handles than actual turnings !! Those are beauties and look to have the right propotions. Nice work and thanks for sharing !

Bob Borzelleri
03-15-2010, 11:02 PM
My handles and I all thank you for your comments.:)

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Bob those are some really nice handles. My handles are mostly 20" long.