PDA

View Full Version : McNaughton Coring Question 2

kevin nee
03-15-2010, 2:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Tomorrow morning I plan on jumping into the coring world with both feet. Looks like a Walnut blank about 14 inch would be good to start with. Next question natural edge or smooth edge for my first core. Thanks in advance, Kevin Wish me luck

Jason Clark2
03-15-2010, 2:21 PM
Smooth edge. The interrupted cut on the natural edge will make things more difficult which you don't want for your first time.

Jason

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2010, 3:14 PM
I agree with Jason. Smooth edge first.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-15-2010, 5:07 PM
I agree, smooth edge first, then you can try the NE on the second attempt!:eek:

Allen Schmid
03-15-2010, 5:15 PM
Kevin,
Post a picture or two and let us all know how it goes...I am following this with interest as I have been looking to purchase the McNaughton coring and just have not committed to it yet.
Hope it goes well for you!
Allen

Jeff Rich
03-15-2010, 7:00 PM
I am thinking about a McNaughton as well...
I have begun selling some owls and have realized this tool could be of great value, both economically and ecologically.
So I will be interested as I have been following several posts and looking for online videos

Reed Gray
03-16-2010, 12:56 AM
For first attempts, try some thing smaller. 14 inches is pretty big. Also, you want to learn on the standard set of coring knives before trying the large set, and 14 inches just about maxes out the standard set. Get a bowl blank about 10 inch diameter and about 3 inches deep where you will get one core. Try that a few times first before trying on a big piece of wood.

The instructions that come with the tool are lacking most of the info you need to learn to use this tool. It is best if you can find some one who knows how to use the tool to show you. Second best is to get a DVD. There are 2 out, one by Mike Mahoney, and one by me. Bill Grumbine does show a short segment on using the tool but doesn't go into depth. I believe that clip is on You Tube. There is a learning curve with the tool, but once you get past it, the McNaughton is the best one out there.

robo hippy