PDA

View Full Version : Best Spokeshave

Rick Erickson
03-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm looking to buy a few spokeshaves. I'm a LN cardholder but own their small bronze spokeshave and it is by far my least favorite tool (of theirs). The mouth constantly clogs. It has been suggested by many that the mouth needs to be be filed a bit to eliminate this issue (which I haven't done yet).

Does anyone have history of their Boggs line? I know he makes a living with his shaves so I can only assume they are of quality. Hmm - does he even use his own branded shaves? Has anyone done a comparison between the LN vs. LV (or others).

Prashun Patel
03-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Rick-
If you are intent on having a spokeshave, then if LN ain't doing it, I'd look at the LV's. Lots of people love the kit.

I also suggest that you pick up a set of the Lee Valley small / medium rosewood contour planes. I think they're $27 for the 2. These things are the biggest bang for the buck of any tool I own. They're also smaller than the typical shave, so they can work in tighter areas.

Despite their light weight, they cut extremely smooth and controlled.

Mike Henderson
03-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I have the LN Boggs flat and it's an excellent spokeshave. But it's not for hogging off wood - it's for fine cuts.

Mike

Rick Erickson
03-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Interesting Shawn. Are these comfortable enough to use long term? I'm looking for something to help shape some Cabriole legs.

Prashun Patel
03-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Interesting Shawn. Are these comfortable enough to use long term? I'm looking for something to help shape some Cabriole legs.

Personally, I think they'd be great for Cabriole legs. I'm using one (the medium) for a Maloof Rocker. You have to be careful working in the right direction of the grain, but for me, that's an issue with any shaving tool on curves.

I might also suggest a good set of rasps. I really like the ones I got from Stewmac.com, the Dragon Rasps. There's a fine and a coarse pair, that are tapered. They each have a flat and convex side. Amazingly versatile, quick cutting, and able to get into tight areas.

Casey Gooding
03-15-2010, 12:15 PM
I have four Veritas spokeshaves (flat, rounded, concave & low angle). They are fantastic. I like them much more than the LN shaves. I agree that the mouths clog too easily, especially the small shave. I also don't care for their lack of mechanical adjustment. The Veritas shaves have worked great for me. They won't disappoint.

Derek Cohen
03-15-2010, 1:07 PM
The LV and LN Boggs shaves were compared in (I think) FWW a few years ago. They were seen to be very comparable. The LV has one advantage in that it uses shims to open/close the mouth, so it can be used for fine/coarse work. The other difference is that the LV has an adjuster. Both use the same thick blades.

Personally I prefer shaves without adjusters - just a lower centre of effort and better in the hands. I have the Boggs and like it very much. The "best" shaves I have, however, are made by HNT Gordon. These use a high cutting angle (55 degrees) and manage interlocked grain better than anything else out there. Note that they are for finishing, not hogging.

For hogging, look out for a Stanley #53 with its adjustable mouth. Great allrounder.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ed Griner
03-15-2010, 1:23 PM
Rick,I have a lot of spokeshaves and have made a lot of period legs.My method is, saw em' out,shape em' with a #49 or#50 Nicholson rasp,and finish with a card scraper.The knees,finish with a sharp paring chisel. Depending on the project,the first shave I grab is the Lee Valley low angle shave . Good Luck/Ed

David Gendron
03-15-2010, 4:59 PM
Rick, I have two LV. I have the low angle, that is IMO not great at all... And I have the concave one that is great! I heard that WoodJoy spoke chave are realy good tools?!?!

Joshua Clark
03-15-2010, 6:04 PM
For hogging, look out for a Stanley #53 with its adjustable mouth. Great allrounder.

Yup- the Stanley 53, and it's cousin the 54, is my favorite metallic spokeshave as well. The adjustable mouth makes it a good choice for both fine and coarse work. I also like traditional wood-bodied spokeshaves. Their low-angle blades work well on work with a lot of end grain. Both are also very inexpensive, which is a plus!

Josh

Brian Kent
03-15-2010, 6:53 PM
I am with Shawn on the $27 for 2 rosewood contour planes. I use them more than my old Stanleys or my Lee Valley spokeshave kit. For that price, take a risk.

Richard Dooling
03-15-2010, 6:56 PM
I've been very curious about the Lee Valley small/medium contour planes and others that have no mechanical adjusters. How hard are they to adjust - and I guess this is a different approach to adjusting than say a plane - a different mind set.

I know this is a traditional design so it must be reliable but unfamiliarity breeds contempt?:o

Brian Kent
03-15-2010, 7:30 PM
Very simple to set. You tap the blade out to sharpen. You push it most of the way back into place, hold the end of the plane on the table top and tap lightly until it is almost all the way in. Test. Tap on back or front of the steel points to the depth you want.

Jim Paulson
03-15-2010, 8:39 PM
I have several wooden body spokeshaves that were made by Dave's Shaves. They are top notch. I use them for Windsor chairmaking.

Jim

Rick Erickson
03-15-2010, 9:55 PM
Argh! More choices than I was counting on :). Thanks to all for the recommendations. There is a lot of great wisdom out there. I will noodle on the choices for a day or two. I will most likely try the LV line and take it from there. I already have a good set of rasps so I have that covered. I was just hoping to speed the process up a little with a good shave before I go to the rasps. Thanks again to all that chimed in.

Paul Saffold
03-15-2010, 11:05 PM
and a Record 151 that was tuned up per the article in FWW by Brian Boggs. Replaced the blade with a Hock and epoxied the bed. That made a big difference in the chattering. I haven't had the luxury of a LV or LN yet.
Paul