PDA

View Full Version : Spalting bed

Eric Kosanovich
03-15-2010, 11:01 AM
So one day i was thinking (can you smell the smoke) with all this Spalting shavings from my holly and some oak
why not make a bed out back of the shop for Spalting some wood. Thinking that the shavings will seed the proses.
Then as i got into my wood pile looking for wood to Spalt i found out that i have some splatting going on it there
even with out any work that's cool as well.
So i started the bed put some Spalted end cuts in the mix and covered it with more shavings let it rain on it one
time and covered it. OK so in six weeks I'll let you know what happens. now lets see the photos.

Eric, what is splating? Do you mean spalting?
Yes Sir you are correct thank you for pointing that out.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spalting is any form of wood coloration caused by fungi.

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Should work well as long as the wood is moist, kept out of direct sunlight and has been exposed to some form of fungi. Looking forward to the results!

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Eric, what is splating? Do you mean spalting?

Steve Mawson
03-15-2010, 12:16 PM
If you have any leaves, that will speed the process.

Rich Greinert
03-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Eric, this seems like a great idea. I will be watching with interest your report on the results.

Mike Minto
03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
don't you have to drop wood from a great height to get it to 'splat'? :p

David Epperson
03-15-2010, 1:04 PM
don't you have to drop wood from a great height to get it to 'splat'? :p
Even higher if you've got a soft bed like that for it to land in.:p

John Keeton
03-15-2010, 1:16 PM
Eric, I have a low area in the field adjacent to my shop where I enpty my dust collection. I recently "buried" a few pieces of maple, cottonwood, and hackberry in there to see what happens. It usually stays damp regardless of the outside temps.

Hope your system works!!

Eric Kosanovich
03-15-2010, 1:52 PM
LOL ok so apparently OpenOffice Writer spell check does not recognize Spalting thats to funny.