PDA

View Full Version : should I clear coat

charlie spencer
03-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I have just finished a table with a poplar base painted black. I used a Valspar spray enamel that looks great. Should I apply a clear coat for protection? The black shows dirt easily and clear coat might help that also?

Brian Kent
03-15-2010, 11:13 AM
A clear coat might not help with the dirt showing, but could provide extra protection for a lifetime of dusting and wiping.

Tony Bilello
03-15-2010, 9:06 PM
I have just finished a table with a poplar base painted black. I used a Valspar spray enamel that looks great. Should I apply a clear coat for protection? The black shows dirt easily and clear coat might help that also?

This is kinda like a loaded question.
If you clear coat, it will usually enhance the looks of the table and provide extra protection for the black surface.
On the other hand, if you clear coat a surface that might be subject to a lot of use and abuse, it will be more difficult to repair. Say for instance someone or something scrapes the top down past the clear coat and black and goes down to the wood. You would have to be quite skilled in order to repair the black and sand it back and then feather the clear coat so that you get no black on the surrounding clear coat while still leveling the black. It can be done, but it takes time and care.
Sooooooooooo, if it will be used a lot, I would not clear coat it. If it were a top on a buffet, or furniture top that rarely gets used, then I would clear coat it.

Jim Becker
03-15-2010, 10:02 PM
If you choose to clear-coat, keep in mind that you must use something that's compatible with the paint you already applied...

Scott Holmes
03-15-2010, 11:01 PM
The Valspar enamel is plenty durable; why not just give it another coat or two?