PDA

View Full Version : These HF are addicting

Michael E. Thompson
03-15-2010, 9:12 AM
I finally got back into the shop. A friend at work gave me a chunk of cherry. I really enjoy the look of this wood, grain is beautiful. (Cherry is one of my favorites). Rough turned a few weeks ago and a DNA soak overnight.

Had to CA glue a few small cracks and back on the lathe this weekend. Finish turned, sanded to 320 and finish. BLO and blonde shellac. Needs another coat of shellac and rubbed out. I am fairly happy with the form, 6.5" x 3.5" sidewalls 3/16 and 3/8 on the bottom. I think next time I will keep the opening small as my previous turnings.

This will be going to the friend at work. I am told there is an entire trunk waiting for me to pick up. C&C welcome please.

John Keeton
03-15-2010, 9:23 AM
Cherry does turn beautifully, and it ages to such a nice color. You did well on this one!

I have a bunch of pot pourri vessels to turn, and this makes me want to get started on those!

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2010, 10:35 AM
That is a great looking HF. Cherry is a nice wood to turn. It will turn a beautiful red as it ages.

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Very nice work Michael! Cherry is also one of my favorite woods to turn! Love the grain, it can take great detail work and it smells great!

Your friend should love this! Looking forward to seeing your gloat when you pickup the Cherry!

Frank Van Atta
03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Nice job. Recurved shapes are my favorite.

David E Keller
03-15-2010, 8:53 PM
That's nice... great grain, and I really like the shape.

Michael E. Thompson
03-15-2010, 9:39 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments. I have another piece drying as we speak. Hopefully in the next week or so I will be able to get it finished. I am thinking about making a hollowing system. I really like making hollow forms, but man it beats you up a little. Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Brian Effinger
03-15-2010, 9:49 PM
Nice HF, and pretty wood. You did good! :)