PDA

View Full Version : Router top opening resizing?

Jay Yoder
03-15-2010, 8:23 AM
I have the opportunity to pick up a Hartville design router table with fence and legs for a reasonable price locally. The concern I have is that the router plate in the top is a 9” x 12” and I want to drop my Woodpecker PRL lift and PC 7518 router in it. The size of the WP router lift is 9-1/4” x 11-3/4” I believe. The issue I see is not with the 9-1/4” dimension but rather the 11-3/4”. How would you go about filling in the difference? I was thinking of gluing a piece of MDF into the opening and then re-laminating the entire top. Then I would rout the correct size hole. It sounds like a lot of work. Anyone have any different ideas? Or am I crazy to do this?

Myk Rian
03-15-2010, 9:42 AM
1/4" isn't enough to worry about re-laminating.
Just glue a piece of scrap anything in the opening.

Paul Greathouse
03-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Myk's idea would work just fine. You could also go a step farther and put 1/8" on each side to make it less noticable. If your really concerned about how the spacer idea would look, make a space all the way around the plate and make it look like an inlay.

Your idea would work great also but would require more time, materials and effort.

Jay Yoder
03-15-2010, 5:22 PM
Thanks for your responses. I noticed after reviewing the specs for the table it is 1-1/16" thick. I am now not only concerned about the opening but also the actual strength of the table. As I said, the router is a 7518 and the lift is the PRL. I am concerned that this may be too much for the top and make it sag. Any thoughts?

Myk Rian
03-15-2010, 6:33 PM
Put a couple braces in under the top.