PDA

View Full Version : Top or No Top-Cedar Vessel

Steve Mawson
03-15-2010, 7:55 AM
Can't decide which is the best. Had another top made and it did not work at all so made this one but perhaps it still is not right. Cedar with maple collar about 10 x 5. Home brew danish oil to this point. One side is the dark side so I stuck that picture in as well. One thing about cedar-never for sure what you will get at least with this tree. Hollowed but still has the tenon attached. Thanks for any comments you may have.

Bob Haverstock
03-15-2010, 8:07 AM
Can't decide which is the best. Had another top made and it did not work at all so made this one but perhaps it still is not right. Cedar with maple collar about 10 x 5. Home brew danish oil to this point. One side is the dark side so I stuck that picture in as well. One thing about cedar-never for sure what you will get at least with this tree. Hollowed but still has the tenon attached. Thanks for any comments you may have.

Steve,

I like it, The collar terminates the wild grain in both the top and the body. I like cedar, but I'm give myself a break on turning it for awhile. That is a nice size.

What other "brews" have you tried?

Bob Haverstock

Steve Mawson
03-15-2010, 8:12 AM
Steve,

What other "brews" have you tried?

Bob Haverstock

This is the only custom formula (brew) that I use. It is in a 5 gal. bucket and the turning just gets dipped or if I want it darker I leave it in for a few hours or overnight.

John Keeton
03-15-2010, 8:17 AM
Steve, I like the vessel, but on the top I think the one you have is too heavy. What about bringing the mass of the lid to the center and giving it just a little more lift? Maybe do the lid in cedar, with a maple knob/finial thingie to tie in with the collar?

Steve Mawson
03-15-2010, 8:19 AM
Steve, I like the vessel, but on the top I think the one you have is too heavy. What about bringing the mass of the lid to the center and giving it just a little more lift? Maybe do the lid in cedar, with a maple knob/finial thingie to tie in with the collar?

Hadn't thought of that, you really want me to go back to work. :) I will give that some thought. Something to do heading off to work:(:(

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2010, 8:24 AM
Steve - really like the vase portion but find the additional curves of the lid distract from the overall piece. Just me.... Have you considered more of a domed shape for your top - something with a simple curve?

Just throwing ideas around! Nice work! Must have made the shop smell great!

Richard Madison
03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Steve - really like the vase portion but find the additional curves of the lid distract from the overall piece. Just me.... Have you considered more of a domed shape for your top - something with a simple curve?

+1 what Steve said.

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I agree with Steve and John. Steve the vase is really nice and the form is on. I would do like Steve said and add what John said about a maple knob on top. IMHO the lid takes away from the vase.

Tom Lewis
03-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Beautiful wood, and elegant shape. I would leave the top off.

Ken Glass
03-15-2010, 10:36 AM
X3 what Steve and Bernie said

Mike Minto
03-15-2010, 11:23 AM
funny how the addition of the top makes such a large difference in the way i percieve your vessel - without, looks like a nice vase. with, looks like a cookie jar. very nice, either way. funny, i'll be posting a very similar cedar form (w/o lid) in about a week, once the finish cures and is buffed.

Frank Van Atta
03-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Love the vessel/vase, but methinks you can lose the top.

John Tomasello jr
03-15-2010, 6:28 PM
IMHO I like it with the lid

Baxter Smith
03-15-2010, 7:42 PM
Pretty wood, nice shape, and I will agree with the previous comments about too many curves in the lid being distracting.

David E Keller
03-15-2010, 8:45 PM
I'd vote no lid or new lid:D...

I agree with the others that the lid could be a bit simpler.

That cedar is awesome... kind of a jeckle/hyde look with straight even grain on one side and wild, crazy grain on the other.

Brian Effinger
03-15-2010, 9:35 PM
I'm not sure which I like better. I'll go against the grain and say I like both.
With a lid - it is an urn. Without - it is a vase.