PDA

View Full Version : Hey, these are too long!

Paul Atkins
03-14-2010, 8:40 PM
I turned some columns about a month ago and got a call and was asked to 'remove about 5 inches'. The kicker was that they were already finished and 'of course' were in a hurry. Being me, I said 'no problem'. Now what. I parted the pieces at the bead and turned a large tenon on the bottom section. The top section was routed out using a bb template and a flush trim bit. There were two lengths to be created, so 2 were longer. Anyway it worked very well without any sign of alteration. The contractor glued them up and all is well. Next?

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2010, 8:44 PM
Those look good Paul. Like the way you did those. Really well done.

RL Johnson
03-14-2010, 8:47 PM
Nice save, necesssity is the mother of invention. Good looking columns, what did you use for the black color?

John Keeton
03-14-2010, 8:47 PM
Paul, that is a fantastic save on those, and an ingenious plan to alter them. Not sure I would have ever considered that.

Ted Calver
03-14-2010, 8:52 PM
Very creative. That contractor owes you big time!

Karl Card
03-14-2010, 8:59 PM
talk about being quick on your feet...nice job

Dick Mahany
03-14-2010, 9:02 PM
That's some fine ingenuity and excellent workmanship ! ( If that had been me, even if I did figure out how to do that, the idea wouldn't have popped into my head until after finishing the last one of a completely rebuilt set )
Best regards.

Mark Hubl
03-15-2010, 3:21 AM
Paul,

Great recovery. Did you put any foul little notes to the contractor in the secret compartment, you know for posterity?

Norm Zax
03-15-2010, 5:47 AM
Liked the way you saved the day. I would probably have redone them but your solution is more clever. Now, when he calls and asks you to add back two inches .... !!

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2010, 7:52 AM
Paul - very creative solution to a problem that should have never happened! Very impressive that you could figure out a way to make the modifications and leave no tell-tale signs of them!

Very nice work!