PDA

View Full Version : Fun with scraps

Walt Nicholson
03-14-2010, 7:50 PM
Started working on pinebox derby cars (the little ones) with four of the grandkids. There is a class for race and one for show with a show category for adults. Everyone wanted "grandpa" to make something, so I dug through the scrap pile and found some walnut, maple, cherry and a couple of strips of inlay and had some fun making a little dragster. Got 1st place but had more fun making something "just for fun" than winning the trophy. The only "all wood/no paint" car there. :D

James Artibee
03-14-2010, 7:54 PM
Thats awsome,excellent job. I'll bet the 'little ones' were stoked.Beyond that the dads were probably jealous. JIM

Bill Huber
03-14-2010, 8:10 PM
WOW that is sharp....... That is just really neat looking.

I love the look and the different woods, it should get a first place.

Great Job.....

Peter Quinn
03-15-2010, 8:48 AM
That is great. Beautiful.

Mark Lincoln
03-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Looks good, so how did you craft the rear wheel?

Walt Nicholson
03-15-2010, 10:58 AM
I cut out the tire with a hole saw from a piece of pine, recessed the center with a spade bit and then sliced off the end of a dowel that was the same size diameter as the recess. Then I drew some spokes on the dowel by hand and cut them out on the scroll saw. I had the thickness of the spokes double the depth of the recess so when I was done I could slice it and make two so I didn't have to cut out two of them (and less chance of breaking a spoke when I cut them out). I cut out a section of the tire to fit the body which seemed easier at the time that cutting out the body to fit the tire. :)

Jason Hanko
03-16-2010, 12:35 AM
Nice!
Does it roll, or is it truly "For Show"?

Ramsey Ramco
03-16-2010, 2:46 PM
Nice work. Jason, I'm with you on hating Michigan, I'm from Lincoln, NE a true Cornhusker fan!

Walt Nicholson
03-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Jason. it does not roll. Just for show only. "All show and no go" as we used to say. :)