PDA

View Full Version : Cherry crotch

John Tomasello jr
03-14-2010, 7:04 PM
Turned this from one of the trees that the burl came from, what a pain. As soon I started to cut small checks started to form. Yes should have went into the fire pile, but the hard head I'm could not give up on it. Lots of Ca to keep it under control. Rough turned 3-09 finished 12-09. BLO & tung oil then waxed about 6in.

Roland Martin
03-14-2010, 7:09 PM
Got some nice color & crotch. They don't always agree do they. Looks like there's a fair amount of money in CA in this one. Good looking bowl, I admire your persistance.

John Keeton
03-14-2010, 7:22 PM
John, you deserve credit for sticking with this one - I probably would not have. Very nice wood, and it would have otherwise been a nice bowl.

David E Keller
03-14-2010, 7:31 PM
Lots of character... lots of glue. Nice save.

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2010, 7:33 PM
John - I have a few bowls here that I learned on that probably took me a few extra hours to finish because of all the checks. Was great to learn that I could do it - but also learned I don't have to.

Nice looking wood and you managed to capture a great feather in the bottom of the bowl! That is usually a hard thing to do!

Hope your next bowls go a little smoother!

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2010, 8:49 PM
Yep sometimes the better part of valor is to pitch them. It did come out to be a really nice piece. I was told one time and I think it was at a symposium I attend that life is to short to turn bad wood. I used to be the worlds worst trying to save a piece of wood. Well done.