PDA

View Full Version : Source for a metric drill bit extension

Chris Zeigler
03-14-2010, 6:19 PM
I bought a 26mm forstner bit for making pepper mills with a Crush Grind mechanism. Unfortunately it isn't long enough to drill all the way through the body. Does anyone know where to get an extension? I probably need a 3"-4" long one. The shank is 8mm. I got the bit at Woodcraft but they don't seem to carry extensions. I did already Google it without much luck.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Bruce Smith
03-14-2010, 8:49 PM
Chris if I were you I would make one. Obtain a piece on drill rod the necessary length plus an inch or so. Chuck it up in you lathe or a drill press (lathe works best) and drill an 8mm hole about and inch deep to accept the shank of you forstner bit. Next drill a hole in the side and thread it to accept a 6-32 or 8-32 set screw, grind or file a flat on the side of the shank of your forstner bit. Now place the forstner bit into 8mm hole, tighten the set screw up which will hold the bit from turning in the extension and you will be all set to go. I forgot to mention before you file a flat on the bit make sure the bit bottoms out in the 8mm hole. In the past I have made several of these for different size shanks and they have always done the job. Hope this works out for you, good luck.

Chris Zeigler
03-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Bruce,
Thanks for the great instructions on how to make one. That is exactly what I am going to do.

Chris