PDA

View Full Version : Dressing a grinding wheel?

David Gilbert
03-14-2010, 4:36 PM
I have a Woodcraft slow speed 8” grinder. I replaced the finer white wheel with a Norton 3X 80-grid stone that I really like. It cuts easily and much more coolly than the original white wheel. This makes a bigger difference when grinding plane blades and regular woodworking chisels but is nice for my high speed steel turning tools too.

My question is this. What are the best options for dressing these wheels? I have one of the diamond T-handled dressers (~$15) that I thought worked OK. A very experienced turning friend claims that this is all I will ever need. I borrowed a Wolverine dresser (~$68) from another friend and it seemed to give a much smoother surface. I have also heard about Don Geiger's Solutions Wheel Truing & Dressing Solution (~$98). I have one of the old wheel style dressers and that isn't even in the running for my operations. I expect that there are a lot of other dressers available too.

Since I’m asking the questions here, where does the One-Way wheel balancing system fall into this discussion? I have a friend who has one and loves it but the wheels came loose when I tried to use it (YIKES!) so I didn’t get a chance to try it out.

Any thoughts that you have will be appreciated.

Cheers,

David

Gordon Seto
03-14-2010, 8:10 PM
The purpose of all the stuffs you mentioned help your grinder running smoothly with less vibration. If your set up is already vibration free, there is no next level.
The T handle dresser will work. The trick is to anchor the dresser against something stationary, such as a solid platform. If you allow the dresser to follow the surface of the wheel, you can't true up the wheel.
I have both the Oneway dresser and the Don Geiger style dresser. The Oneway is not as convenient to set up.
If you get better quality wheel that has uniform density, the balancer won't help as much. The $105 Norton SG wheel that Craft Supply carries won't fit the balancer.