PDA

View Full Version : Woodie & Mortise Chisel (Gloat)

Chris Padilla
11-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Well, here are two sets of Neander items I picked up recently.

The woodie plane is from Gene Collison--an ECE 701 Primus Jointer (see the Classifieds). The mechanical adjuster is slick and the plane is nice and flat...although I found the counter it sits on isn't at all! :) It has a beech body and the sole is hornbeam.

The set of mortising chisels are brand-new from LN. Those handles are hornbeam, too! They have a nice heft to them.

Looking forward to some chopping and smoothing...when the shop gets done.... :(

Fournd an interesting site on the American Hornbeam:

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/american_hornbeam.htm

Donnie Raines
11-05-2004, 1:51 PM
Nice haul!.....especialy those LN's..... :cool:

Keith Christopher
11-05-2004, 1:56 PM
Oh I am so green with envy, nice score Chris !

Brent Anderson
11-05-2004, 2:03 PM
Where did you get the chisels from? (Not listed on LN website)

Chris Padilla
11-05-2004, 2:08 PM
Brent,

you caught me! Uh...ahem...well...I kinda sorta have a lil' bit of an inside track at LN...kinda sorta........:o ;)

:D

Gary Max
11-05-2004, 2:15 PM
Always nice to have freinds in the right places.
The stuff from LN would look good in my shop.
The biggggg thing-----where is the gas tank at---or the cord????
Looks great Chris

Chris Padilla
11-05-2004, 2:26 PM
Always nice to have freinds in the right places. Yep but it can get expensive, too! :eek:

The stuff from LN would look good in my shop.
The biggggg thing-----where is the gas tank at---or the cord????
Looks great Chris The filler tube is my mouth...the gas tank is well...the refrigerator?? ;)

Alan Turner
11-05-2004, 6:18 PM
Nice. Do you know when LN will release the mortisers? And, at what price? And, do you need to buy the full set?
Thx.
Alan

Chris Padilla
11-05-2004, 6:30 PM
I think LN is selling off all of their pre-production chisels to anyone who'll phone them and ask about them<--just a guess I have. I have no clue about stock or anything but as my first set of mortising chisels, I decided just to get everything they had.

When I was ordering, however, she asked me what handle I wanted (hornbeam or rosewood) and which sizes. I said hornbeam and the full set! I paid $50/each plus $6 for shipping.

I would call and talk to them and see what you can come up with. A friend of mine that has these chisels is quite impressed with the hornbeam handles...he has beat the crap out of them and they look barely broken in! :)

Gene Collison
11-05-2004, 8:42 PM
Chris,

You didn't tell me about the chisels! I would have traded the plane straight up for the chisels!!! :) :)

Gene

John Miliunas
11-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Hmmm...Must be something with these Picture Police! I note that, BOTH of them recently acquired some real, REAL nice, big-time electron burners, but yet, BOTH of them are heavy into the calorie burning equipment. :eek: On the bright side, might be some good deals in the near future on some of the heavy iron! :D Nice scores, Chris. Too expensive for my budget, but would be nice to have. :cool:

Tom LaRussa
11-06-2004, 1:13 PM
The woodie plane is from Gene Collison--an ECE 701 Primus Jointer (see the Classifieds).
Cool woodie.

OT: Some of the ECE's are a little weird looking for my taste -- the ones with the rhinosaurus (sp?) horn sticking up in front. In the first place it looks like it's angled in the wrong direction. In the second place it looks like it's supposed to be some sort of male fertility totem -- if you get my drift. :eek:

The mechanical adjuster is slick and the plane is nice and flat...although I found the counter it sits on isn't at all!
No problem now. Just plane the sucker, then check it with the straightedge you're getting for the aircraft carrier. Alternatively, you could detach the counter, flip it over, and run it through the aircraft carrier. Whichever tool is best for the job. :)

The set of mortising chisels are brand-new from LN. Those handles are hornbeam, too! They have a nice heft to them.
Those do look like NICE mortisers, and they are dang cheap -- for LN products anyhow.

Fournd an interesting site on the American Hornbeam:

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/american_hornbeam.htm
Speaking of the American Hornbeam...

Since you have something of an inside line at LN, I wonder if you could find out exactly what type of hornbeam they use? Do they use American Hornbeam, Carpinus caroliniana, (aka Blue Beech), or American Hophornbeam, Ostrya virginiana, (aka Ironwood)?

http://www.gate.net/~andykell/ftof/ftof5.html

Pam Niedermayer
11-06-2004, 2:17 PM
OT: Some of the ECE's are a little weird looking for my taste -- the ones with the rhinosaurus (sp?) horn sticking up in front. In the first place it looks like it's angled in the wrong direction. In the second place it looks like it's supposed to be some sort of male fertility totem -- if you get my drift....

You do know how silly this is. Those planes IME (I've used the reformed smoother and a scrub) are incredibly comfortable to use, the horn provides great mechanical advantage for those of use who use hands.

As to wrong direction, you do have to be careful to get a left handed version if you're left handed and vice versa.

Pam

Bob Marino
11-06-2004, 2:49 PM
Got the LN 's a couple of weeks back, just got to get around to honing. Real nice feel to them.

Bob

Tom LaRussa
11-06-2004, 4:28 PM
You do know how silly this is.
Yes, I do.

But I never claimed to be very mature. :D

Chris Padilla
11-08-2004, 4:57 PM
Thanks, Folks. It'll be a little bit before I really get around to using the chisels but I had a chance to plane with the woodie. Thanks a lot, Gene! That sucker is good and sharp and the sole is flat, flat, flat. I was pulling up transparent shavings on some port orford cedar...god that stuff smells good! :)

Gene Collison
11-08-2004, 6:02 PM
Thanks, Folks. It'll be a little bit before I really get around to using the chisels but I had a chance to plane with the woodie. Thanks a lot, Gene! That sucker is good and sharp and the sole is flat, flat, flat. I was pulling up transparent shavings on some port orford cedar...god that stuff smells good! :)

Chris,

Good to hear that you are enjoying the ECE and most importantly that you are happy with the merchandise. Good deal for all!!! :)

Gene

Tim Sproul
11-08-2004, 11:40 PM
It'll be a little bit before I really get around to using the chisels ....

Dirty rotten....jfsdakfjaoweifwale.a!

I called Lie-Nielsen and was told all the first runs were gone.......it seems at least some went to those who didn't even have a need for them!

No, I'm not green with envy...... :D

Michael Perata
11-10-2004, 12:04 AM
They are taking reservations for a January ship date on the mortise chisels. $50 ea. I have a 1/4" 3/8" & 1/2" reserved.

Tim Sproul
11-10-2004, 12:22 AM
They are taking reservations for a January ship date on the mortise chisels. $50 ea. I have a 1/4" 3/8" & 1/2" reserved.
Aye.

I'm on the list too (at least I think I am.....).

I was just a wee bit envious :D

Michael Perata
11-10-2004, 12:24 AM
What's with this "Aye", you been out watchin' them saylen boats again.

Tim Sproul
11-10-2004, 12:37 AM
"Sproul" is a Scottish clan name. Though I have no resemblence of being Scottish, "aye" is quite a UK, if not Scottish "thing."

Manny Hernandez
11-10-2004, 1:25 AM
Aye.

I'm on the list too (at least I think I am.....).

I was just a wee bit envious :D

Tim,
I thought you were content with the Iyoroi. What's with the LN-envy? :confused:
Shoulda said something, I probably coulda got you a set when I got Chris' set.

Michael Perata
11-10-2004, 3:14 AM
Manny

Think we might be picking on Tim a bit tonight. He's getting testy. Aye, matey.

Chris Padilla
11-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Hey, if you wanna fondle them, you are more than welcome to (Mike/Tim) as I won't be getting to using them for a bit. :( I'm still working on the Garage-maj-hal but I do see light at the end of the tunnel.... :D

Ken Garlock
11-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Wasn't "Woodie & Mortise Chisel" a rock group in the early 80's :confused:

Tim Sproul
11-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Hey now......Manny of all woodworkers should subscribe to the idea that one can never have too many chisels..... :)

Chris Padilla
11-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Well, Manny certainly does.... ;)

Manny Hernandez
11-10-2004, 1:11 PM
Hey now......Manny of all woodworkers should subscribe to the idea that one can never have too many chisels..... :)

What do my bad habits have to do with you? Am I rubbing off on you? :p
Let me know when you want Holtey's phone number. :)

Tim Sproul
11-10-2004, 7:05 PM
Let me know when you want Holtey's phone number. :)

Right after I win the lottery!