PDA

View Full Version : cost to sharpen a dado set

Kevin Gregoire
03-14-2010, 1:56 PM
im curious if anyone has ever sent in a dado blade set to have sharpened?

if so, what is the cost and turn around time?

and where is the best place to have it done?

thanks

Bruce Page
03-14-2010, 2:42 PM
Interesting question. I never have but I don't use mine very often.
The last combo blade sharpening cost me about $30 including shipping. It might be cheaper to buy a new set.

Neil Brooks
03-14-2010, 2:54 PM
I'd probably use Forrest.

Here's details, and pricing....

http://www.forrestblades.com/sharpprice.htm

Jeff Bratt
03-14-2010, 2:55 PM
Forrest (http://www.forrestblades.com/sharpprice.htm) charges $50-$60 + shipping. Ridge Carbide (http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/sharpening.php), $40-$60 + shipping.

Karl Brogger
03-14-2010, 3:09 PM
It might be cheaper to buy a new set.

Some of the worst advice I've seen here.:mad:

I honestly don't know what the individual cost would be as I typically send a whole mess of stuff off to the sharpener. My advice would be to find a local cabinet shop and ask who they use, then just drop it off with that sharpener. Most sharpening services charge by the tooth when it comes to saw blades.

Bruce Page
03-14-2010, 3:25 PM

I honestly don't know what the individual cost would be as I typically send a whole mess of stuff off to the sharpener. My advice would be to find a local cabinet shop and ask who they use, then just drop it off with that sharpener. Most sharpening services charge by the tooth when it comes to saw blades.

$50-60 is not bad. My comment was based on my experience with combo blade sharpening – and I said so.
Lighten up Karl

Frank Warta
03-14-2010, 3:30 PM
Not to mention that for those of us with $70-100 stacks, the idea of spending that much or more (after tax and shipping) to have them sharpend seems like pretty terrible advice to me. Not everyone owns a $300 stack.

scott spencer
03-14-2010, 4:54 PM

Not necessarily bad advice at all IMHO...there are some cheap low quality sets that would make sense to replace vs sharpen. If the set was a higher quality set, it'd probably be worth sharpening. It'd actually be helpful to know what the set in question is, and how many teeth it has, as that changes the cost of sharpening.

Ray Chalenski
03-15-2010, 6:32 AM
I have a mediocre dado set that Delta makes.Sent it to Ridge Carbide for sharpening. That set came back cutting perfect.Nearly dead flat bottoms.Was well worth the cost to sharpen.Approx. $50.00 That was about a year ago.

Kevin Gregoire
03-15-2010, 8:36 AM
ray, how many blades in your dado set were sharpened for that fifty bucks?

Karl Brogger
03-15-2010, 9:09 AM
ray, how many blades in your dado set were sharpened for that fifty bucks?

If you have a dado set sharpened, all of the blades must be sent in at once to get a matching set. Which really chaps me when I send in a dado head and two of the blades haven't even had the wax/rubber pulled off.:(

Robert Reece
03-15-2010, 10:33 AM
You could also try Dynamic Saw in Buffalo (http://www.dynamic-saw-blade-sharpening.com/). I sent them a lot of blades, including a Delta dado set, about a year ago and they all came back perfect.

I think the Dado set ran me around $50, and they made it so that the cutters were a little closer to the diameter of the chippers. So those little ears that you get on the sides of the dado are nearly gone. They are maybe .002" now.

Ray Chalenski
03-15-2010, 1:01 PM
I sent Ridge the entire set. 2 blades and the 5 chippers.

Kent A Bathurst
03-15-2010, 1:56 PM
If you have a dado set sharpened, all of the blades must be sent in at once to get a matching set. Which really chaps me when I send in a dado head and two of the blades haven't even had the wax/rubber pulled off.:(

You don't "have to" sharpen them all. You could hold out the sharp ones, and then deal with the different diameters and the uneven dado bottoms when you do use them. Or, if you "never" use them, you don't need them anyway - just forget about them.

OR - rotate the usage so they all get used a little bit - the outer blades will still dull faster, but at least you won't have a frowny-face :( when you do pay to sharpen them all. :D

EDIT: Also - agree with Bruce's advice re: lighten up. The least of my problems is what to do about sharpening a dado set.

Kent A Bathurst
03-15-2010, 1:58 PM
........I'd probably use Forrest........

That's where my Forrest set goes - comes back perfecto every time.

Karl Brogger
03-15-2010, 5:52 PM
You don't "have to" sharpen them all. You could hold out the sharp ones, and then deal with the different diameters and the uneven dado bottoms when you do use them. Or, if you "never" use them, you don't need them anyway - just forget about them.

OR - rotate the usage so they all get used a little bit - the outer blades will still dull faster, but at least you won't have a frowny-face :( when you do pay to sharpen them all. :D

EDIT: Also - agree with Bruce's advice re: lighten up. The least of my problems is what to do about sharpening a dado set.

No, you don't have to, but as I said to keep a matching set you do.

I'm light, its just dumb in my opinion to throw money away by treating it as a disposable item.

Just as a reference, (I just dug out a reciept), I'm paying $12.85 to have a 80T ATB sharpened, and $40.30 to have a dado set sharpened, and that's picked up/returned to the shop. Might be different having an account, but I find it hard to justify throwing away even an el' cheapo head if it costs $100, but has the capacity to be sharpened say a half dozen times. If you go through the full cycle and use it up it'll cost you $340, whereas you replace the same cheap head 6 times, it'll cost you $600! Do that with say a $300 Forrest set, you're up to $1800 in replacement costs, when it could have cost you $540.

See what I'm getting at? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I have to cost flow this stuff or just cuts (pun fully intended) into my bottom line.

russell lusthaus
03-16-2010, 4:43 PM
I have not used them yet, but the Tool Nut in Mahopac NY just quoted me approx $15 for a 50 odd tooth combo blade - one week turnaround time. They have some arrangement with a local sharpener who picks up and drops off weekly.

Seems pretty reasonable to me even after assuming that they have some profit margin built in. I'll let you know, as I have a stack of blades I will be bringing in in a few weeks.

My dado head was an el cheapo - $50.00 to sharpen it is more then the heads cost to begin with. Not sure what to do about that.

Ray Chalenski
03-16-2010, 5:33 PM
Russell the money I spent on the delta dado set was well worth it I thought.I'm getting almost dead flat cuts now.The alternative was to drop $300.00 on a top of the line set. When I brought the blades to Ridge I also brought 2 Forrest blades.I asked John if he would mind sharpening a competitors blades.Without any hesitation he quipped he didn't mind one bit making their blades cut better than when they were new.By the way he did a great job on the Forrest blades also.